APOD: Full Moon Silhouettes (2017 Dec 03)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Full Moon Silhouettes (2017 Dec 03)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:06 am

Image Full Moon Silhouettes

Explanation: Have you ever watched the Moon rise? The slow rise of a nearly full moon over a clear horizon can be an impressive sight. One impressive moonrise was imaged in early 2013 over Mount Victoria Lookout in Wellington, New Zealand. With detailed planning, an industrious astrophotographer placed a camera about two kilometers away and pointed it across the lookout to where the Moon would surely soon be making its nightly debut. The featured single shot sequence is unedited and shown in real time -- it is not a time lapse. People on Mount Victoria Lookout can be seen in silhouette themselves admiring the dawn of Earth's largest satellite. Seeing a moonrise yourself is not difficult: it happens every day, although only half the time at night. Each day the Moon rises about fifty minutes later than the previous day, with a full moon always rising at sunset. A good time to see a full moonrise will occur tonight at sunset as the Moon's relative closeness to Earth during a full phase -- called a supermoon -- will cause it to appear slightly larger and brighter than usual.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

revloren
Ensign

Re: APOD: Full Moon Silhouettes (2017 Dec 03)

Post by revloren » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:56 am

I was surprised to see the moon moving right to left (south to north) as it rose. But I guess that makes sense, since it is the southern hemisphere and all. I guess those kiwis like to do things different. :roll:

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:49 am

revloren wrote:I was surprised to see the moon moving right to left (south to north) as it rose. But I guess that makes sense, since it is the southern hemisphere and all. I guess those kiwis like to do things different. :roll:
https://www.amazon.com/Mcarthurs-Univer ... B003AGE63S

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:52 am

I remember well playing soccer with my friends under a full moon at night in Brasil. The Southern Cross was not bright enough but this thing was.
Wolf Kotenberg

scr33d
Ensign

Post by scr33d » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:03 pm

The days when you see not one person in a small group messing with their phones...

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:38 pm

APOD Robot wrote:
Explanation: One impressive moonrise was imaged in early 2013 over Mount Victoria Lookout in Wellington, New Zealand. With detailed planning, an industrious astrophotographer placed a camera about two kilometers away and pointed it across the lookout to where the Moon would surely soon be making its nightly debut.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/debut wrote:
debut (n.) 1751, from French début "first appearance," a figurative use from débuter "make the first stroke at billiards," also "to lead off at bowls" (a game akin to bowling), 16c., from but "mark, goal," from Old French but "end." The verb is first attested 1830. Début can only be pronounced as French, and should not be used by anyone who shrinks from the necessary effort. [Fowler]
Art Neuendorffer