APOD: Perijove 11: Passing Jupiter (2019 Sep 08)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 3663
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Perijove 11: Passing Jupiter (2019 Sep 08)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:08 am

Image Perijove 11: Passing Jupiter

Explanation: Here comes Jupiter! NASA's robotic spacecraft Juno is continuing on its 53-day, highly-elongated orbits around our Solar System's largest planet. The featured video is from perijove 11 in early 2018, the eleventh time Juno has passed near Jupiter since it arrived in mid-2016. This time-lapse, color-enhanced movie covers about four hours and morphs between 36 JunoCam images. The video begins with Jupiter rising as Juno approaches from the north. As Juno reaches its closest view -- from about 3,500 kilometers over Jupiter's cloud tops -- the spacecraft captures the great planet in tremendous detail. Juno passes light zones and dark belt of clouds that circle the planet, as well as numerous swirling circular storms, many of which are larger than hurricanes on Earth. After the perijove, Jupiter recedes into the distance, now displaying the unusual clouds that appear over Jupiter's south. To get desired science data, Juno swoops so close to Jupiter that its instruments are exposed to very high levels of radiation.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer
Posts: 3680
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: APOD: Perijove 11: Passing Jupiter (2019 Sep 08)

Post by starsurfer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:01 am

This is a really relaxing start to a sunny Sunday morning. :D

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 4973
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Perijove 11: Passing Jupiter (2019 Sep 08)

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:39 am

I don't know what the problem is; but Chrome doesn't bring in videos any more!(they start and then cover up the picture) I usually have to visit Edge to play videos anymore! Yes starsurfer it was very relaxing! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

NCTom

Re: APOD: Perijove 11: Passing Jupiter (2019 Sep 08)

Post by NCTom » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:43 pm

Five years (July, 2016 to July, 2021) and sadly it will be over. Hopefully the next one will last even longer.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 16217
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Perijove 11: Passing Jupiter (2019 Sep 08)

Post by neufer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:25 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
orin stepanek wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:39 am
starsurfer wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:01 am

This is a really relaxing start to a sunny Sunday morning. :D
Yes starsurfer it was very relaxing! 8-)
  • Well...Hermione Granger can fix that:
    • Presto agitato !
    Moonlight sonata - 3rd Movement: Presto agitato :arrow:
Art Neuendorffer

heehaw

Re: APOD: Perijove 11: Passing Jupiter (2019 Sep 08)

Post by heehaw » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Does anyone know if there is a level in the atmosphere of Jupiter that has temperature in the liquid-water range, AND reasonable pressures? Where floating living creatures could have evolved? There is a scientific paper by Carl Sagan speculating on life in Jupiter!

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 16217
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Perijove 11: Passing Jupiter (2019 Sep 08)

Post by neufer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:51 pm

heehaw wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Does anyone know if there is a level in the atmosphere of Jupiter that has temperature in the liquid-water range, AND reasonable pressures? Where floating living creatures could have evolved? There is a scientific paper by Carl Sagan speculating on life in Jupiter!
  • They would have to survive in tents (radiation):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraterrestrial_life#Jupiter wrote:
<<Carl Sagan and others in the 1960s and 1970s computed conditions for hypothetical microorganisms living in the atmosphere of Jupiter.

The intense radiation and other conditions, however, do not appear to permit
encapsulation and molecular biochemistry, so life there is thought unlikely.>>

https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2001A ... I/abstract
Art Neuendorffer

Muggins2

Re: APOD: Perijove 11: Passing Jupiter (2019 Sep 08)

Post by Muggins2 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:03 pm

The colors are so varied and distinct in Saturn's atmosphere. Why don't these colors mix or homogenize into some greyish color?

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 16217
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Perijove 11: Passing Jupiter (2019 Sep 08)

Post by neufer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:18 pm

Muggins2 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:03 pm

The colors are so varied and distinct in Saturn's atmosphere.
Why don't these colors mix or homogenize into some greyish color?
Assuming you mean JUPITER's atmosphere:
  • The zones/bands of color don't mix because conservation of angular momentum
    resists mixing adjacent bands of strongly varying angular momentum
    within the rapidly rotating Jupiter.

    Why the red and white vortices last so very long is still a mystery, however.
Art Neuendorffer

Boomer12k
:---[===] *
Posts: 2569
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:07 am

Re: APOD: Perijove 11: Passing Jupiter (2019 Sep 08)

Post by Boomer12k » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:47 am

Always an awesome video...

:---[===] *

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 4973
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Perijove 11: Passing Jupiter (2019 Sep 08)

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:23 am

neufer wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:25 pm
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
orin stepanek wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:39 am
starsurfer wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:01 am

This is a really relaxing start to a sunny Sunday morning. :D
Yes starsurfer it was very relaxing! 8-)
  • Well...Hermione Granger can fix that:
    • Presto agitato !
    Moonlight sonata - 3rd Movement: Presto agitato :arrow:
You just have to turn the sound down!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 9734
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Perijove 11: Passing Jupiter (2019 Sep 08)

Post by Ann » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:53 am

neufer wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:18 pm
Muggins2 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:03 pm

The colors are so varied and distinct in Saturn's atmosphere.
Why don't these colors mix or homogenize into some greyish color?
Assuming you mean JUPITER's atmosphere:
  • The zones/bands of color don't mix because conservation of angular momentum
    resists mixing adjacent bands of strongly varying angular momentum
    within the rapidly rotating Jupiter.


    Why the red and white vortices last so very long is still a mystery, however.
Is that math-speak for saying that the winds blow in opposite directions and at different speeds in the different belts and zones in Jupiter?

Click to play embedded YouTube video.


Ann

(And Bob Dylan says hi.)
Color Commentator

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 16217
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Perijove 11: Passing Jupiter (2019 Sep 08)

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:43 pm

Ann wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:53 am
neufer wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:18 pm
Muggins2 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:03 pm

The colors are so varied and distinct in Saturn's atmosphere.
Why don't these colors mix or homogenize into some greyish color?
Assuming you mean JUPITER's atmosphere:
  • The zones/bands of color don't mix because conservation of angular momentum
    resists mixing adjacent bands of strongly varying angular momentum
    within the rapidly rotating Jupiter.


    Why the red and white vortices last so very long is still a mystery, however.
Is that math-speak for saying that the winds blow in opposite directions and at different speeds in the different belts and zones in Jupiter?
No...The fact that there are 50-150 m/s eastward & westward jet streams situated at the boundaries between Jupiter's white zones & dark belts is merely a secondary manifestation of the fact that the equatorial zone is, itself, rotating eastward at a speed of ~12,500 m/s!

On Earth, warm tropical surface air can often overcome it's strong initial rotational angular momentum and invade temperate zones (if not polar zones); but Jupiter's enormous initial rotational angular momentum forces its banded structure to stay put... especially considering that Jupiter lacks any strong disrupting pole to equator temperature gradient in the first place.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Jupiter wrote:
The origin of Jupiter's banded structure is not completely clear, though it may be similar to that driving the Earth's Hadley cells. The simplest interpretation is that [white] zones are sites of atmospheric upwelling, whereas belts are manifestations of downwelling. When air enriched in ammonia rises in zones, it expands and cools, forming high and dense clouds. In belts, however, the air descends, warming adiabatically as in a convergence zone on Earth, and white ammonia clouds evaporate, revealing lower, darker clouds. The location and width of bands, speed and location of jets on Jupiter are remarkably stable, having changed only slightly between 1980 and 2000.
Art Neuendorffer

stowaway
Ensign
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:52 pm

Re: APOD: Perijove 11: Passing Jupiter (2019 Sep 08)

Post by stowaway » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:44 pm

Why Beethoven?

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 16217
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Perijove 11: Passing Jupiter (2019 Sep 08)

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:40 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
stowaway wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:44 pm

Why Beethoven?
So you don't get Rattled?

:arrow: Rattle · Berliner Philharmoniker
Mozart: Symphony No. 41 "Jupiter"
Art Neuendorffer

Guest

Re: APOD: Perijove 11: Passing Jupiter (2019 Sep 08)

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:45 am

Why can’t they just make an actual video in 2019 with this probe? It would be much more impressive and would give a better impression of being near this gas giant and also allow to experience the cloud movement in real time. Having to compose a crappy video out of some images seems like a joke considering they spend over a billion on that device, let alone all the effort and time they spent to get this thing all the way there.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 16217
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Perijove 11: Passing Jupiter (2019 Sep 08)

Post by neufer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:02 pm

Guest wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:45 am

Why can’t they just make an actual video in 2019 with this probe? It would be much more impressive and would give a better impression of being near this gas giant and also allow to experience the cloud movement in real time. Having to compose a crappy video out of some images seems like a joke considering they spend over a billion on that device, let alone all the effort and time they spent to get this thing all the way there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JunoCam wrote:
<<JunoCam (or JCM) is the visible-light camera/telescope of the Juno Jupiter orbiter. The telescope/camera has a field of view of 58 degrees with four filters (3 for visible light). The camera takes a swath of imaging as the spacecraft rotates; the camera is fixed to the spacecraft so as it rotates, it gets one sweep of observation. Due to telecommunications constraints, Juno will only be able to return about 40 megabytes of camera data during each 11-day orbital period. This downlink average data rate of around 325 bits per second will limit the number of images that are captured and transmitted during each orbit to somewhere between 10 and 100 depending on the compression level used.

JunoCam is NOT of the probe's core scientific instruments; it was put on board primarily for public science and outreach, to increase public engagement, and to make all images available on NASA's website. It is capable of being used for science, and does have some coordinated activities in regards to this, as well as to engage amateur and as well as professional infrared astronomers. It was anticipated that it would operate through only eight orbits of Jupiter due to the planet's damaging radiation and magnetic field, but as of December 2018 (Perijove 17), JunoCam remains operational.>>
......................................................................
The Juno spacecraft's ACTUAL suite of science instruments will:
  • Determine the ratio of oxygen to hydrogen, effectively measuring the abundance of water in Jupiter, which will help distinguish among prevailing theories linking Jupiter's formation to the Solar System.

    Obtain a better estimate of Jupiter's core mass, which will also help distinguish among prevailing theories linking Jupiter's formation to the Solar System.

    Precisely map Jupiter's gravitational field to assess the distribution of mass in Jupiter's interior, including properties of its structure and dynamics.

    Precisely map Jupiter's magnetic field to assess the origin and structure of the field and how deep in Jupiter the magnetic field is created. This experiment will also help scientists understand the fundamental physics of dynamo theory.

    Map the variation in atmospheric composition, temperature, structure, cloud opacity and dynamics to pressures far greater than 100 bars (10 MPa; 1,450 psi) at all latitudes.

    Characterize and explore the three-dimensional structure of Jupiter's polar magnetosphere and auroras.

    Measure the orbital frame-dragging, known also as Lense–Thirring precession caused by the angular momentum of Jupiter, and possibly a new test of general relativity effects connected with the Jovian rotation.

    Among early results, Juno gathered information about Jovian lightning that revised earlier theories.
Art Neuendorffer