APOD: NGC 602 and Beyond (2021 May 16)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 4409
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: NGC 602 and Beyond (2021 May 16)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun May 16, 2021 4:10 am

Image NGC 602 and Beyond

Explanation: The clouds may look like an oyster, and the stars like pearls, but look beyond. Near the outskirts of the Small Magellanic Cloud, a satellite galaxy some 200 thousand light-years distant, lies 5 million year young star cluster NGC 602. Surrounded by natal gas and dust, NGC 602 is featured in this stunning Hubble image of the region. Fantastic ridges and swept back shapes strongly suggest that energetic radiation and shock waves from NGC 602's massive young stars have eroded the dusty material and triggered a progression of star formation moving away from the cluster's center. At the estimated distance of the Small Magellanic Cloud, the featured picture spans about 200 light-years, but a tantalizing assortment of background galaxies are also visible in this sharp multi-colored view. The background galaxies are hundreds of millions of light-years or more beyond NGC 602.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 11524
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: NGC 602 and Beyond (2021 May 16)

Post by Ann » Sun May 16, 2021 5:55 am


N90, the nebula housing NGC 602, is the Jaws Nebula!

There are two things that I particularly love about NGC 602 (and beyond):

NGC 602.png
Closeup of cluster NGC 602.

The first thing that I love about it is the cluster itself, NGC 602. And what I particularly love about it is that you can see so clearly that there are a lot of faint stars in this cluster surrounding the relatively few brilliantly bright cluster members.

That is how star formation works. There are always many more small faint stars than large bright ones formed in every burst of star formation. Over time the small light-weight stars get scattered farther away, so that the visible cluster center appears to contain only the bright stars, and no surplus of faint stars. That is what has happened to the Pleiades, for example.

I should point out the star that is responsible for doing most of the ionizing of the magnificent N90 (Jaws) Nebula. It is the brightest star in the field, and in the closeup that I posted, it is located at upper right (not top right). In the APOD, it is at upper center.
Wikipedia wrote:

NGC 602 includes many young O and B stars and young stellar objects, with few evolved stars.[9] Ionisation in the nebula is dominated by Sk 183, an extremely hot O3 main sequence star visible as the bright isolated star at the centre of the Hubble image.


The second thing I really love about the Hubble image of NGC 602 is the beautiful little background spiral galaxy, seen in the image above at left. Isn't it perfect?

Ann
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Color Commentator

heehaw

Re: APOD: NGC 602 and Beyond (2021 May 16)

Post by heehaw » Sun May 16, 2021 8:48 am

Yesterday I joined Ann in gushing (lovely word, gushing!) at the colors. But I was stunned today to see its solemn opposite: Austere beauty! Even better!

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6822
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: NGC 602 and Beyond (2021 May 16)

Post by orin stepanek » Sun May 16, 2021 11:17 am

Ngc602_Hubble_960.jpg

The beauty APOD brings keeps me back every day! :yes: :clap:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

VictorBorun
Science Officer
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Re: APOD: NGC 602 and Beyond (2021 May 16)

Post by VictorBorun » Sun May 16, 2021 11:49 am

Ann wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:55 am
NGC 602.png
Closeup of cluster NGC 602.
Over time the small light-weight stars get scattered farther away, so that the visible cluster center appears to contain only the bright stars, and no surplus of faint stars. That is what has happened to the Pleiades, for example.
Ann
These 4 processes must take different time:
1) in 30 thousand years rogue planets and red dwarfs are born;
2) in 300 thousand years large blue stars are born and blow away the gas stopping the birth of any more stars;
3) in 3 million years the rogue planets/red dwarfs/large blue stars settle by odd close encounters, with rogue planets getting kicked to the periphery if not out of the cluster and large blue stars sinking to the center;
4) in 30 million years large blue stars go supernova, leaving behind a neutron star or a black hole with an odd kick and a 3 ly nebula to recycle more rogue planets and red dwarfs; all this somewhat blurs the concentric spheric layers of the cluster population.

VictorBorun
Science Officer
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Re: APOD: NGC 602 and Beyond (2021 May 16)

Post by VictorBorun » Sun May 16, 2021 11:54 am

some confectioners produce chocolate sets of Solar system planets.
Why do not some Christmas decoration manufacturers produce sets of Famous Nebula Glass Spheres ?

With a booklet of astro pics to show how to turn a sphere for a correct earth-based view of the Jaws and others.

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commander
Posts: 826
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: NGC 602 and Beyond (2021 May 16)

Post by johnnydeep » Sun May 16, 2021 8:17 pm

Other than the clearly identified background galaxies, how many of the point-ish sources in this photo are part of NGC 602? I presume all the bright blue stars with well-defined diffraction spikes are, but what about the many - hundreds? - of much smaller and less clearly blue other "stars"? Are they just members of the SMC? For example these "pointed" to by red lines:

NGC 602.JPG

(Arrows are a pain to draw by hand so I just use lines to "point". Sadly, even straight lines are hard to draw :( ]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6822
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: NGC 602 and Beyond (2021 May 16)

Post by orin stepanek » Sun May 16, 2021 8:38 pm

johnnydeep wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:17 pm
Other than the clearly identified background galaxies, how many of the point-ish sources in this photo are part of NGC 602? I presume all the bright blue stars with well-defined diffraction spikes are, but what about the many - hundreds? - of much smaller and less clearly blue other "stars"? Are they just members of the SMC? For example these "pointed" to by red lines:


NGC 602.JPG


(Arrows are a pain to draw by hand so I just use lines to "point". Sadly, even straight lines are hard to draw :( ]

Johnny; You can use the arrows and circles in paint to do the work for you! :eyebrows: Put your picture in a file and push edit! you may have to practice! Hope this helps!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

ta152h0
Schooled
Posts: 1394
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:46 am
Location: Auburn, Washington, USA

Re: APOD: NGC 602 and Beyond (2021 May 16)

Post by ta152h0 » Sun May 16, 2021 10:23 pm

Wonder what this looks like when the James Webb telescope is in operation and taking this picture? pass the ice cold one
Wolf Kotenberg

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commander
Posts: 826
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: NGC 602 and Beyond (2021 May 16)

Post by johnnydeep » Sun May 16, 2021 11:54 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:38 pm
johnnydeep wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:17 pm
Other than the clearly identified background galaxies, how many of the point-ish sources in this photo are part of NGC 602? I presume all the bright blue stars with well-defined diffraction spikes are, but what about the many - hundreds? - of much smaller and less clearly blue other "stars"? Are they just members of the SMC? For example these "pointed" to by red lines:


NGC 602.JPG


(Arrows are a pain to draw by hand so I just use lines to "point". Sadly, even straight lines are hard to draw :( ]

Johnny; You can use the arrows and circles in paint to do the work for you! :eyebrows: Put your picture in a file and push edit! you may have to practice! Hope this helps!
I know. But because of the extra step that entails, I use the built-in editor in the MS screen grab app which is severely limited. Also, if I just save the image from the APOD screen, the size might be too big to include it in a post. But I have to save the screen grabbed image to a file anyway in order to attach it to a post, so it’s really not bad if I save it first, and edit it with a decent editor. I’ll be less lazy next time. :ssmile:
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6822
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: NGC 602 and Beyond (2021 May 16)

Post by orin stepanek » Mon May 17, 2021 2:29 am

:lol2: Kerstie Shaw
johnnydeep wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:54 pm
orin stepanek wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:38 pm
johnnydeep wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:17 pm
Other than the clearly identified background galaxies, how many of the point-ish sources in this photo are part of NGC 602? I presume all the bright blue stars with well-defined diffraction spikes are, but what about the many - hundreds? - of much smaller and less clearly blue other "stars"? Are they just members of the SMC? For example these "pointed" to by red lines:


NGC 602.JPG


(Arrows are a pain to draw by hand so I just use lines to "point". Sadly, even straight lines are hard to draw

Johnny; You can use the arrows and circles in paint to do the work for you! :eyebrows: Put your picture in a file and push edit! you may have to practice! Hope this helps!
I know. But because of the extra step that entails, I use the built-in editor in the MS screen grab app which is severely limited. Also, if I just save the image from the APOD screen, the size might be too big to include it in a post. But I have to save the screen grabbed image to a file anyway in order to attach it to a post, so it’s really not bad if I save it first, and edit it with a decent editor. I’ll be less lazy next time. :ssmile:
You can also use paint to downsize your picture! I have to downsize when I save camera shots; they are really big!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!