APOD: STARFORGE: A Star Formation Simulation (2021 Jun 23)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: STARFORGE: A Star Formation Simulation (2021 Jun 23)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:09 am

Image STARFORGE: A Star Formation Simulation

Explanation: How do stars form? Most form in giant molecular clouds located in the central disk of a galaxy. The process is started, influenced, and limited by the stellar winds, jets, high energy starlight, and supernova explosions of previously existing stars. The featured video shows these complex interactions as computed by the STARFORGE simulation of a gas cloud 20,000 times the mass of our Sun. In the time-lapse visualization, lighter regions indicate denser gas, color encodes the gas speed (purple is slow, orange is fast), while dots indicate the positions of newly formed stars. As the video begins, a gas cloud spanning about 50 light years begins to condense under its own gravity. Within 2 million years, the first stars form, while newly formed massive stars are seen to expel impressive jets. The simulation is frozen after 4.3 million years, and the volume then rotated to gain a three-dimensional perspective. Much remains unknown about star formation, including the effect of the jets in limiting the masses of subsequently formed stars.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

XgeoX
Science Officer
AKA: Uncle Rico

Re: APOD: STARFORGE: A Star Formation Simulation (2021 Jun 23)

Post by XgeoX » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:01 am

Does anyone have access to a rather detailed pressure-temperature relationship on say a Sun like star (actually most any type I'm not picky!) ?
I have found a few coarse ones in textbooks but they don’t have near enough grain.
Before you suggest STARFORGE is WAY above my head!
Thanks!

Eric
Ego vigilate
Ego audire

Lasse H
Ensign

Post by Lasse H » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:11 am

The beautiful Chopin music ended rather abruptly. Fade-out would've been more considerate.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:30 pm

I guess I was expecting a single star being born :cry: Kitty was a rerun! :roll: Oh well it's to be continued!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

If it aint Baroque don't use Prelude Op. 28, No. 4 as a stellar introduction

Post by neufer » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:14 pm

Lasse H wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:11 am
The beautiful Chopin music ended rather abruptly. Fade-out would've been more considerate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prelude,_Op._28,_No._4_(Chopin) wrote:
<<A prelude (German: Präludium or Vorspiel; Latin: praeludium) is a short piece of music, the form of which may vary from piece to piece. While, during the Baroque era, for example, it may have served as an introduction to succeeding movements of a work that were usually longer and more complex, it may also have been a stand-alone piece of work during the Romantic era. It generally features a small number of rhythmic and melodic motifs that recur through the piece. Stylistically, the prelude is improvisatory in nature. The prelude also may refer to an overture, particularly to those seen in an opera or an oratorio.

The Prelude Op. 28, No. 4 by Frédéric Chopin is one of the 24 Chopin preludes.
By Chopin's request, this piece was played at his own funeral, along with Mozart's Requiem.
:(

The piece is only a page long and uses a descending melody line. The melody starts with the dominant B and works its way to the tonic E, but halfway through the piece the descending line is interrupted and the melody starts over again. Only in the last bars does the melody dissolve in the tonic and go through a chord progression to the soothing and satisfying E minor chord.

Hans von Bülow called the prelude "suffocation", due to its sense of despair. In fact, Chopin's last dynamic marking in the piece is smorzando, which means "dying away". But the prelude may have once been given a title. According to George Sand's daughter Solange, who stayed with the composer at the monastery in Mallorca when the preludes were written, "My mother gave a title to each of Chopin’s wonderful Preludes; these titles have been preserved on a score he gave to us." That titled score is lost. But Solange did record the names of the preludes, apparently without assigning the names to the prelude numbers. It is believed that the title "Quelles larmes au fond du cloître humide?" ("What tears [are shed] from the depths of the damp monastery?") corresponds to Prelude No. 4.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Stan

Post by Stan » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:20 pm

A beautiful simulation. I too was expecting just a few stars to form. Could you estimate how many stars formed by the end of the simulation? Was it on the order of 1,000?
Thanks,
Stan

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:40 pm

Stan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:20 pm
A beautiful simulation. I too was expecting just a few stars to form.

Could you estimate how many stars formed by the end of the simulation? Was it on the order of 1,000?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silmarillion#Of_the_Rings_of_Power_and_the_Third_Age wrote:
<<The Rings of Power were forged by Elves led by Celebrimbor,
but Sauron secretly forged One Ring to control the other 19 Rings,
including the Three Rings of the Elves, Seven Rings for the Dwarves, and Nine for Men.>>
Art Neuendorffer

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:03 pm

That was eye opening educational. I never thought that stars would form following a curvy line similar to the letter S. Then after about 4 million years the first stars start to supernova, not as you'd expect at the centre of the massive cloud where you think the cloud is more dense because of gravity, but at the fringes of the edges of the S.There was not 1 supernova at the centre.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:08 pm

Stan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:20 pm A beautiful simulation. I too was expecting just a few stars to form. Could you estimate how many stars formed by the end of the simulation? Was it on the order of 1,000?
Thanks,
Stan
I'd say a few hundred. Impressively fast formation regardless.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:10 pm

De58te wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:03 pm That was eye opening educational. I never thought that stars would form following a curvy line similar to the letter S. Then after about 4 million years the first stars start to supernova, not as you'd expect at the centre of the massive cloud where you think the cloud is more dense because of gravity, but at the fringes of the edges of the S.There was not 1 supernova at the centre.
Were there supernova? I didn't think so, but there were many stars furiously expelling massive jets after 4 my as the text described.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}