APOD: Aurora by Moonlight (2022 Feb 12)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Aurora by Moonlight (2022 Feb 12)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:05 am

Image Aurora by Moonlight

Explanation: The ice was singing as light from a bright gibbous Moon cast shadows across this frozen lake, about 20 kilometers north of Stockholm, Sweden, planet Earth. In the alluring night skyscape captured on February 10, shimmering auroral curtains of light dance in the evening sky. On that northern night nature's performance included the auroral displays fostered by a minor geomagnetic storm. Stormy space weather was the result of a coronal mass ejection, erupting from a solar prominence days earlier and brushing our fair planet's magnetosphere.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Aurora by Moonlight (2022 Feb 12)

Post by Ann » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:50 am

My first thought when I saw today's APOD was, "An aurora image. Then I'm not expected to say anything smart about it."

My second thought was, "That sure looks like Sweden. That lake, and those low wooded hills in the background, and lights from houses lined up along parts of the shore. What are those branches that we see in the foreground - are they willow, or just birch?"

My third thought was, "It is Sweden. Yeah."

My fourth thought was: "I can see the Big Dipper peeking through between those foreground branches, at right, but not all the way into the corner."

My fifth thought was, "I'll leave the discussion about the aurora to someone else!" :D :wink:

Ann
Color Commentator

XgeoX
Science Officer
AKA: Uncle Rico

Post by XgeoX » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:48 am

If you crank up the saturation the violet and red really pop out. Beautiful image either way.
You live in a beautiful country Ann!

Eric
Ego vigilate
Ego audire

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:49 pm

Ann wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:50 am

My first thought when I saw today's APOD was, "An aurora image. Then I'm not expected to say anything smart about it."

My second thought was, "That sure looks like Sweden. That lake, and those low wooded hills in the background, and lights from houses lined up along parts of the shore. What are those branches that we see in the foreground - are they willow, or just birch?"

My third thought was, "It is Sweden. Yeah."

My fourth thought was: "I can see the Big Dipper peeking through between those foreground branches, at right, but not all the way into the corner."

My fifth thought was, "I'll leave the discussion about the aurora to someone else!" :D :wink:

Ann
auroralakeFeb10_Heden.jpg
Ann; It makes a nice wallpaper! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Eclectic Man
Ensign

Post by Eclectic Man » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:20 pm

"The ice was singing ..."

There is also the intriguing possibility that the Aurora Borealis creates audible noise at ground level:
https://theconversation.com/do-the-nort ... ear-168032 .

"... a Finnish study in 2016 claimed to have finally confirmed that the northern lights really do produce sound audible to the human ear."

However, I have not found a link to the Aurora Australis producing audible sound at ground level.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:59 pm

From the "was singing" link, although there's no skater in this scene to cause the 'singing' ice, nevertheless:
"If you have a frozen lake nearby, you don’t need to skate across it to hear these amazing noises. Frozen lakes will make these noises all by themselves with the right conditions, as the ice expands and contracts, sending out vibrations across the lake. Skipping rocks far across the lake can also make the same sounds."
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}