APOD: Europa and Jupiter from Voyager 1 (2022 Jul 17)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 4785
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Europa and Jupiter from Voyager 1 (2022 Jul 17)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:05 am

Image Europa and Jupiter from Voyager 1

Explanation: What are those spots on Jupiter? Largest and furthest, just right of center, is the Great Red Spot -- a huge storm system that has been raging on Jupiter possibly since Giovanni Cassini's likely notation of it 357 years ago. It is not yet known why this Great Spot is red. The spot toward the lower left is one of Jupiter's largest moons: Europa. Images from Voyager in 1979 bolster the modern hypothesis that Europa has an underground ocean and is therefore a good place to look for extraterrestrial life. But what about the dark spot on the upper right? That is a shadow of another of Jupiter's large moons: Io. Voyager 1 discovered Io to be so volcanic that no impact craters could be found. Sixteen frames from Voyager 1's flyby of Jupiter in 1979 were recently reprocessed and merged to create the featured image. Forty-five years ago this August, Voyager 1 launched from Earth and started one of the greatest explorations of the Solar System ever.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

User avatar
AVAO
Science Officer
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 12:24 pm
AKA: multiwavelength traveller
Location: Zurich

Re: APOD: Europa and Jupiter from Voyager 1 (2022 Jul 17)

Post by AVAO » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:49 am

Wonderful picture. But i still don't understand why you didn't choose a current picture, such as the new IR-pictures with 3D effect from WEBB. Congratulations to geck- absolutely great work!

( See earlier discussion: viewtopic.php?t=40723 )

Image
https://www.flickr.com/photos/geckzilla/52219195378
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/522 ... 4b26_o.png

Original data: Credits: NASA, ESA, CSA, STScI
Image processing: Judy Schmidt

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 7730
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Europa and Jupiter from Voyager 1 (2022 Jul 17)

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:21 pm

AVAO wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:49 am Wonderful picture. But i still don't understand why you didn't choose a current picture, such as the new IR-pictures with 3D effect from WEBB. Congratulations to geck- absolutely great work!

( See earlier discussion: viewtopic.php?t=40723 )

Image
https://www.flickr.com/photos/geckzilla/52219195378
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/522 ... 4b26_o.png

Original data: Credits: NASA, ESA, CSA, STScI
Image processing: Judy Schmidt
I believe Sundays are days of rest for the staff! New pictures tomorrow!
Thanks for the Webb Photo though! :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 21146
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: APOD: Europa and Jupiter from Voyager 1 (2022 Jul 17)

Post by bystander » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:43 pm

AVAO wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:49 am
( See earlier discussion: viewtopic.php?t=40723 )

APOD: 2020 Jun 28 ~ viewtopic.php?t=40723
APOD: 2017 Sep 05 ~ viewtopic.php?t=37535
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

User avatar
AVAO
Science Officer
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 12:24 pm
AKA: multiwavelength traveller
Location: Zurich

Re: APOD: Europa and Jupiter from Voyager 1 (2022 Jul 17)

Post by AVAO » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:26 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:21 pm I believe Sundays are days of rest for the staff! New pictures tomorrow!
Thanks for the Webb Photo though! :D
ok I understand...

What I would be interested in is the following:
In geck's picture it looks as if the two moons Andrastea (far left) and Metis are moving exactly in the plane of the ring. Could they be responsible for the fact that it still exists or generate it?

Image
Image source: NASA / JHUAPL / SwRI / annotation by E. Lakdawalla

"Clumps following Adrastea Jupiter's moon Adrastea has an associated ring. One of the surprising discoveries from New Horizons' encounter with Jupiter was three clumps in the main rings following the tiny moon Adrastea (16 kilometers in diameter)."
https://www.google.ch/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... QD9qPmBpCW

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16925
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Europa and Jupiter from Voyager 1 (2022 Jul 17)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:48 pm

AVAO wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:26 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:21 pm I believe Sundays are days of rest for the staff! New pictures tomorrow!
Thanks for the Webb Photo though! :D
ok I understand...

What I would be interested in is the following:
In geck's picture it looks as if the two moons Andrastea (far left) and Metis are moving exactly in the plane of the ring. Could they be responsible for the fact that it still exists or generate it?
Material ejected from Adrastea and Metis make up the two inner parts of Jupiter's ring system. Material ejected from Amalthea and Thebe make up the outer rings. Unlike Saturn with its icy rings, Jupiter's rings are made up of dust. Material is ejected from the moons by impacts.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
AVAO
Science Officer
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 12:24 pm
AKA: multiwavelength traveller
Location: Zurich

Re: APOD: Europa and Jupiter from Voyager 1 (2022 Jul 17)

Post by AVAO » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:10 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:48 pm
AVAO wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:26 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:21 pm I believe Sundays are days of rest for the staff! New pictures tomorrow!
Thanks for the Webb Photo though! :D
ok I understand...

What I would be interested in is the following:
In geck's picture it looks as if the two moons Andrastea (far left) and Metis are moving exactly in the plane of the ring. Could they be responsible for the fact that it still exists or generate it?
Material ejected from Adrastea and Metis make up the two inner parts of Jupiter's ring system. Material ejected from Amalthea and Thebe make up the outer rings. Unlike Saturn with its icy rings, Jupiter's rings are made up of dust. Material is ejected from the moons by impacts.
Great! ThanX Chris for the precise answer to the question.


Another feature of the picture is also still unclear to me:
If you zoom deeper into the picture, it seems that you can look directly at the deeper atmospheric layers. Is that just a misleading 3D effect or are they effectively more transparent in the IR.

Image
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/522 ... 13a4_o.jpg
Original pictures: left Cassini 2020 NASA, ESA
Original picture: right Judy Schmidt WEBB 20220 NASA, ESA, CSA, STScI

heehaw

Re: APOD: Europa and Jupiter from Voyager 1 (2022 Jul 17)

Post by heehaw » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:21 pm

No human will EVER visit Jupiter. Too deadly dangerous, and also totally pointless.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16925
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Europa and Jupiter from Voyager 1 (2022 Jul 17)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:30 pm

heehaw wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:21 pm No human will EVER visit Jupiter. Too deadly dangerous, and also totally pointless.
I'd never say never, but yeah... not anything that will occur in our current technological or social environments.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 12259
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Europa and Jupiter from Voyager 1 (2022 Jul 17)

Post by Ann » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:26 am


The Great Red Spot looks like a hotspot (or at least very warm) in the JWST image, doesn't it? And the normally white Equatorial Zone, which turned a pale shade of orange in 2019, also looks "brightly warm" as imaged by JWST. And the poles look warm too, particularly the south pole. I wonder why?


Check this page to see who created the annotated image.

Ann
Color Commentator