APOD: Meteor & Milky Way over the... (2022 Aug 23)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 4840
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Meteor & Milky Way over the... (2022 Aug 23)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:05 am

Image Meteor & Milky Way over the Mediterranean

Explanation: Careful planning made this a nightscape to remember. First, the night itself was chosen to occur during the beginning of this year's Perseid Meteor Shower. Next, the time of night was chosen to be before the bright Moon would rise and dominate the night sky's brightness. The picturesque foreground was selected to be a rocky beach of the Mediterranean Sea in Le Dramont, France, with, at the time, Île d'Or island situated near the ominously descending central band of our Milky Way Galaxy. Once everything was set and with the weather cooperating, all of the frames for this seemingly surreal nightscape were acquired within 15 minutes. What you can't see is that, on this night, the astrophotographer brought along his father who, although unskilled in modern sky-capture techniques, once made it a point to teach his child about the sky.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Rauf
Ensign
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Re: APOD: Meteor & Milky Way over the... (2022 Aug 23)

Post by Rauf » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:55 am

Such beauty. I envy the photographer :)
Does anyone know what that yellow light is? It is shining in the sea at the left of the picture, Is it a reflection??

User avatar
XgeoX
Science Officer
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:57 pm
AKA: Uncle Rico

Re: APOD: Meteor & Milky Way over the... (2022 Aug 23)

Post by XgeoX » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:05 am

Rauf wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:55 am Such beauty. I envy the photographer :)
Does anyone know what that yellow light is? It is shining in the sea at the left of the picture, Is it a reflection??
It looks like a buoy reflecting the light of the flash.
You can see it in this picture I believe as the rectangular object in the water in the uppermiddle right…
Image

Eric
Ego vigilate
Ego audire

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 7806
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Meteor & Milky Way over the... (2022 Aug 23)

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:26 pm

MeteorGalaxy_Looten_6325.jpg
Dad said: Son there's a universe out there! Son becomes
Astro photographer! Beautiful photo! Kudos to J Looten
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0371/ ... _1044x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

geoffrey.landis
Ensign
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:49 pm

Re: APOD: Meteor & Milky Way over the... (2022 Aug 23)

Post by geoffrey.landis » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:45 pm

The image doesn't make a lot of sense; in particular, I'm having a lot of problems with the lights reflected in the water. The reflections are much brighter than the lights themselves, and in one place there are reflections that don't even seem to have sources.
This must have been heavily processed.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 17009
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Meteor & Milky Way over the... (2022 Aug 23)

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:01 pm

geoffrey.landis wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:45 pm The image doesn't make a lot of sense; in particular, I'm having a lot of problems with the lights reflected in the water. The reflections are much brighter than the lights themselves, and in one place there are reflections that don't even seem to have sources.
This must have been heavily processed.
I don't think the reflections are brighter than the sources. They are the same brightness as the sources, and that brightness is 100%. In other words, we're seeing saturated pixels. But the reflections are much larger, of course. And a large saturated region seems brighter to us than a small one. The actual brightness is not something we can determine in this image.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
Cousin Ricky
Science Officer
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:08 pm
Location: St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands (+18.3, -64.9)

Re: APOD: Meteor & Milky Way over the... (2022 Aug 23)

Post by Cousin Ricky » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:09 pm

APOD Robot wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:05 amWhat you can't see is that, on this night, the astrophotographer brought along his father who, although unskilled in modern sky-capture techniques, once made it a point to teach his child about the sky.
My father did the same, though perhaps not as extensively as Mr. Looten.

Julien Looten
Ensign
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:08 pm

Re: APOD: Meteor & Milky Way over the... (2022 Aug 23)

Post by Julien Looten » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:09 pm

geoffrey.landis wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:45 pm The image doesn't make a lot of sense; in particular, I'm having a lot of problems with the lights reflected in the water. The reflections are much brighter than the lights themselves, and in one place there are reflections that don't even seem to have sources.
This must have been heavily processed.
Hello, I am the author of the photo. Strange your remarks... there is no photomontage or other... some are even overexposed so much the light is strong... not easy to manage all this light pollution surrounding. I don't understand the inconvenience this can cause. Where do you see reflections without a source?
To answer another question posed previously, the luminous point which one distinguishes in water on the left, is a buoy.

Lou judson

Re: APOD: Meteor & Milky Way over the... (2022 Aug 23)

Post by Lou judson » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:14 pm

Gorgeous photo!

I am curious about the light in the tower windows - Is that a normal thing they do or was it just for the picture, and is it electric light or portable lanterns?

I'm also very curious about how, when and why the tower was built on that tiny island!

Julien Looten
Ensign
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:08 pm

Re: APOD: Meteor & Milky Way over the... (2022 Aug 23)

Post by Julien Looten » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:34 pm

Lou judson wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:14 pm Gorgeous photo!

I am curious about the light in the tower windows - Is that a normal thing they do or was it just for the picture, and is it electric light or portable lanterns?

I'm also very curious about how, when and why the tower was built on that tiny island!
The tower on the island is a private tower (with a medieval appearance) erected at the beginning of the 20th century by the island's rich owner. It was here that the Provence landings took place during the Second World War in 1944. 20,000 GIs of the 36th Texas Division of the US Army landed on 15 August 1944. The tower was partially destroyed and then rebuilt identically. that's why there are lights, it's inhabited.

This place, full of history, has never ceased to attract artists, painters, writers, film-makers and today photographers, who see this place as a source of inspiration. Many agree that Hergé (creator of the hero Tintin) was inspired by the « île d’Or » to draw his « l’île Noir », from the 7th album of the young reporter's adventures.

Rauf
Ensign
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Re: APOD: Meteor & Milky Way over the... (2022 Aug 23)

Post by Rauf » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:41 pm

Julien Looten wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:34 pm
Lou judson wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:14 pm Gorgeous photo!

I am curious about the light in the tower windows - Is that a normal thing they do or was it just for the picture, and is it electric light or portable lanterns?

I'm also very curious about how, when and why the tower was built on that tiny island!
The tower on the island is a private tower (with a medieval appearance) erected at the beginning of the 20th century by the island's rich owner. It was here that the Provence landings took place during the Second World War in 1944. 20,000 GIs of the 36th Texas Division of the US Army landed on 15 August 1944. The tower was partially destroyed and then rebuilt identically. that's why there are lights, it's inhabited.

This place, full of history, has never ceased to attract artists, painters, writers, film-makers and today photographers, who see this place as a source of inspiration. Many agree that Hergé (creator of the hero Tintin) was inspired by the « île d’Or » to draw his « l’île Noir », from the 7th album of the young reporter's adventures.
Thanks for answering my question. If you don't mind, I am gonna ask some more :)
Where is that light pollution coming from? from that city to the right of the Island? And what is it's name?

Julien Looten
Ensign
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:08 pm

Re: APOD: Meteor & Milky Way over the... (2022 Aug 23)

Post by Julien Looten » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:58 pm

Rauf wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:41 pm
Thanks for answering my question. If you don't mind, I am gonna ask some more :)
Where is that light pollution coming from? from that city to the right of the Island? And what is it's name?
The light pollution comes from the coastal towns, which are extremely touristic at this time. The lights on the right probably come from Saint-Aygulf, a town located between Saint-Raphael and Sainte-Maxime, in the south of France...

Sa Ji Tario

Re: APOD: Meteor & Milky Way over the... (2022 Aug 23)

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:19 pm

Thank you Julien for the explanations and your work

RocketRon

Re: APOD: Meteor & Milky Way over the... (2022 Aug 23)

Post by RocketRon » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:00 am

Cannes would be somewhere out to the right there also ?

Julien Looten
Ensign
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:08 pm

Re: APOD: Meteor & Milky Way over the... (2022 Aug 23)

Post by Julien Looten » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:13 pm

RocketRon wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:00 am Cannes would be somewhere out to the right there also ?
no, rather on the opposite side of the island, behind me.