APOD: Jupiter Rotates as Moons Orbit (2022 Oct 25)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 4903
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Jupiter Rotates as Moons Orbit (2022 Oct 25)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:05 am

Image Jupiter Rotates as Moons Orbit

Explanation: Jupiter and its moons move like our Sun and its planets. Similarly, Jupiter spins while its moons circle around. Jupiter’s rotation can be observed by tracking circulating dark belts and light zones. The Great Red Spot, the largest storm known, rotates to become visible after about 15 seconds in the 48-second time lapse video. The video is a compilation of shorts taken over several nights last month and combined into a digital recreation of how 24-continuous hours would appear. Jupiter's brightest moons always orbit in the plane of the planet's rotation, even as <a rhef="ap200701.html">Earth’s spin</a> makes the whole system appear to tilt. The moons Europa, Ganymede, and Io are all visible, with Europa's shadow appearing as the icy Galilean moon crosses Jupiter's disk. Jupiter remains near opposition this month, meaning that it is unusually bright, near to its closest to the Earth, and visible nearly all night long.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

daddyo
Science Officer
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:48 am

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates as Moons Orbit (2022 Oct 25)

Post by daddyo » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:36 am

Isn’t the apparent moon orbital tilting over time due to an alt/az scope mount vs equatorial?

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 12477
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates as Moons Orbit (2022 Oct 25)

Post by Ann » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:52 am

I like this video! :D

And I don't know about you, but I like seeing Jupiter's Great Red Spot looking so bright and orange. It doesn't always look like that!


Once again I don't know about you, but I thought it was cool seeing Europa glide across the face of Jupiter, preceded by its black shadow like an evil twin! How suitable for Halloween! 😀 🎃 👻

APOD 25 October 2022 image of Jupiter and moons from video.png

But where is the fourth Galilean moon, Callisto? Okay, Callisto is in a wide orbit around Jupiter, so maybe Callisto strayed a bit far off and went to visit Mars, which has been shining so bright and ruddy in our night skies lately? And if Mars is too far away for Callisto (and it is), then maybe Callisto went to visit dwarf planet Ceres in the asteroid belt?

Yes, that's probably it! So let's follow the sign so that we can find Ceres and Callisto!



But hey, what's this? The way to Ceres is "up" - yes, we know - but Callisto isn't up there? What's up? A Halloween ghost ate it up? :shock:

Ann
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Color Commentator

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 7887
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates as Moons Orbit (2022 Oct 25)

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:12 pm

220px-Jupiter_and_the_Galilean_Satellites.jpg
If Jupiter was a Star! We have Jupiter orbiting The sun and if it was
indeed a star; than we would have double star system! The Galilean
moons would be planets! 8-) Now, this makes me wonder that other
star systems may have planetary systems in similar fashion! :shock:
c4ce0df8.png
Today's Kitty of The Day! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
johnnydeep
Captain
Posts: 1725
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates as Moons Orbit (2022 Oct 25)

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:31 pm

daddyo wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:36 am Isn’t the apparent moon orbital tilting over time due to an alt/az scope mount vs equatorial?
Frankly, I'm just not understanding why we are seeing the axial tilt of Jupiter (along with the tilt of the moons' orbital planes) change over the course of this video. Isn't the axial tilt of Jupiter relative to the line of sight from the Earth always the same no matter where on Earth you are or when you happen to look? [ Note: I fully expect to be proven to be wrong here since my 3D software is obsolete and bug-riddled. ]
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

Eclectic Man
Ensign
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates as Moons Orbit (2022 Oct 25)

Post by Eclectic Man » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:43 pm

First time I've felt seasick viewing an APOD.

Great animation, though, I just like having the ecliptic horizontal-ish, or at least consistent.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 17155
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates as Moons Orbit (2022 Oct 25)

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:44 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:31 pm
daddyo wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:36 am Isn’t the apparent moon orbital tilting over time due to an alt/az scope mount vs equatorial?
Frankly, I'm just not understanding why we are seeing the axial tilt of Jupiter (along with the tilt of the moons' orbital planes) change over the course of this video. Isn't the axial tilt of Jupiter relative to the line of sight from the Earth always the same no matter where on Earth you are or when you happen to look? [ Note: I fully expect to be proven to be wrong here since my 3D software is obsolete and bug-riddled. ]
If you don't track Jupiter with a mount that unwinds Earth's rotation, this is what you get. Jupiter certainly doesn't maintain the same orientation with respect to the horizon as it moves across the sky!
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
johnnydeep
Captain
Posts: 1725
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates as Moons Orbit (2022 Oct 25)

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:21 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:44 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:31 pm
daddyo wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:36 am Isn’t the apparent moon orbital tilting over time due to an alt/az scope mount vs equatorial?
Frankly, I'm just not understanding why we are seeing the axial tilt of Jupiter (along with the tilt of the moons' orbital planes) change over the course of this video. Isn't the axial tilt of Jupiter relative to the line of sight from the Earth always the same no matter where on Earth you are or when you happen to look? [ Note: I fully expect to be proven to be wrong here since my 3D software is obsolete and bug-riddled. ]
If you don't track Jupiter with a mount that unwinds Earth's rotation, this is what you get. Jupiter certainly doesn't maintain the same orientation with respect to the horizon as it moves across the sky!
Ok. Still having a hard time visualizing it though. But my line of sight claim is still correct, isn't it? That is, the line through Earth's center and Jupiter's center is always at the same angle to Jupiter's axial tilt? ...gah - No, that can't be right either, since if Jupiter's axial tilt was 90 degrees, sometimes it would be perpendicular to our line of sight, and sometimes parallel to it!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."