APOD: Eclipse in the City (2022 Nov 12)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Eclipse in the City (2022 Nov 12)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:08 am

Image Eclipse in the City

Explanation: A darker Moon sets over Manhattan in this night skyscape. The 16 frame composite was assembled from consecutive exposures recorded during the November 8 total lunar eclipse. In the timelapse sequence stars leave short trails above the urban skyline, while the Moon remains immersed in Earth's shadow. But the International Space Station was just emerging from the shadow into the sunlit portion of its low Earth orbit. As seen from New York City, the visible streak of this ISS flyover starts near a star in Taurus and tracks right to left, through the belt of Orion and over Sirius, alpha star of Canis Major. Gaps along the bright trail of the fast moving orbital outpost (and an aircraft flying closer to the horizon) mark the time between individual exposures in the sequence. The trail of bright planet Mars is at the top of the frame. Pleiades star cluster trails are high over the eclipsed Moon and Empire State Building.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

aularon
Asternaut

Re: APOD: Eclipse in the City (2022 Nov 12)

Post by aularon » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:48 am

HI! The third link (text: "from the shadow") should lead to https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap180312.html instead of https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap180312.jpg

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:03 pm

StanHondaTLE-ISS1108.jpg
I couldn't find it at first; so I marked the eclipse in case others had
trouble finding it also! :D I see the ISS was mentioned coming out of
Sun's shadow!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:42 pm

The other night Mars was much closer to the moon.
IMG_5756 (3).JPG
But all the same players were in the vicinity. :ssmile:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:09 pm

Am I the only one who doesn't know what the dashed line near the horizon on the right is being caused by? Also, as usual, I'm confused about the imaging process described. Was only one of the exposures used to capture the moon, or was the moon tracked by the camera and part of each of the 16 exposures? And what about the stars trails: composed by bits from each exposure or only one?
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:15 pm

I am again amazed at what kind of science laws is involved here. This still photograph is some sort of time lapse photography whereas the so called "immovable" stars are seen to move over some sort of distance because the Earth rotates, yet for the same time period the Moon doesn't budge one inch and is locked in place compared to the skyscrapers.

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:35 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:09 pm Am I the only one who doesn't know what the dashed line near the horizon on the right is being caused by? Also, as usual, I'm confused about the imaging process described. Was only one of the exposures used to capture the moon, or was the moon tracked by the camera and part of each of the 16 exposures? And what about the stars trails: composed by bits from each exposure or only one?
Good question. And why do long-exposures or out-of-focus images show color better?
IMG_5747 (2).JPG
:?
Edit: This may help me in the future. :clap:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"