APOD: Aurora Georgia (2024 May 16)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Aurora Georgia (2024 May 16)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu May 16, 2024 4:07 am

Image Aurora Georgia

Explanation: A familiar sight from Georgia, USA, the Moon sets near the western horizon in this rural night skyscape. Captured on May 10 before local midnight, the image overexposes the Moon's bright waning crescent at left in the frame. A long irrigation rig stretches across farmland about 15 miles north of the city of Bainbridge. Shimmering curtains of aurora shine across the starry sky though, definitely an unfamiliar sight for southern Georgia nights. Last weekend, extreme geomagnetic storms triggered by the recent intense activity from solar active region AR 3664 brought epic displays of aurora, usually seen closer to the poles, to southern Georgia and even lower latitudes on planet Earth. As solar activity ramps up, more storms are possible.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Re: APOD: Aurora Georgia (2024 May 16)

Post by Guest » Thu May 16, 2024 4:55 am

It's really beautiful.

hypermetabolic
Asternaut

Post by hypermetabolic » Thu May 16, 2024 5:42 am

O roar a roar for Nora
Nora Alice in the night
For she has seen Aurora Borealis burning bright
A furor for our Nora
And applaud Aurora seen!
Where throughout the summer has our Borealis been?
- Walt Kelly, from Pogo

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu May 16, 2024 6:00 am

Aurora Georgia?

Sorry, I couldn't help thinking of something like this...

Aurora Georgia.png

Ann
Color Commentator

Dollfins
Asternaut

Post by Dollfins » Thu May 16, 2024 9:07 am

"...the Moon's bright waning crescent at left in the frame." Typo, should be waxing.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Thu May 16, 2024 5:54 pm

Ann wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:00 am Aurora Georgia?

Sorry, I couldn't help thinking of something like this...

Aurora Georgia.png

Ann
Aurora Georgialis!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Thu May 16, 2024 6:00 pm

That link to the Youtube video sure is impressive.

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

But what caused that bright flash a 00:00:33 seconds into it, quickly followed by a seemingly remnant "thumbprint" on the image? A passing car headlight?

georgia aurora video still.jpg
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

wrightdobbs
Ensign

Post by wrightdobbs » Thu May 16, 2024 6:24 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:00 pm That link to the Youtube video sure is impressive.

But what caused that bright flash a 00:00:33 seconds into it, quickly followed by a seemingly remnant "thumbprint" on the image? A passing car headlight?

The photographer of today's APOD here. Yes that's what it was. Headlights from friends arriving to shoot, and cars from the highway. Unfortunately, there wasn't a lot of quick access to the field and because this was my first time photographing an aurora, I wanted to have quick access to my camera in case anything changed. An embankment on the other side of the road kept me from setting up there and I was also in an area I was unfamiliar with so wanted to be by my car in case something happened.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Thu May 16, 2024 6:27 pm

wrightdobbs wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:24 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:00 pm That link to the Youtube video sure is impressive.

The photographer of today's APOD here. Yes that's what it was. Headlights from friends arriving to shoot, and cars from the highway. Unfortunately, there wasn't a lot of quick access to the field and because this was my first time photographing an aurora, I wanted to have quick access to my camera in case anything changed. An embankment on the other side of the road kept me from setting up there and I was also in an area I was unfamiliar with so wanted to be by my car in case something happened.
Ok, thanks. And the video turned out great!
--

wrightdobbs
Ensign

Post by wrightdobbs » Thu May 16, 2024 6:31 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:27 pm
wrightdobbs wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:24 pm

Ok, thanks. And the video turned out great!
Thank you! I had another camera I was shooting with but the widest focal length was 28mm on that one. I had a timelapse going and the reason it stops and skips around is because I had to use that camera to get the shot I was hoping for and when ended up being today's APOD. After the image, I then saw the cool scene to the west which is why the timelapse moves to that direction for the second part. The whole timelapse spanned about 1 hour and 13 minutes in real time (including the gap I used to get the still shots and panorama).

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Fri May 17, 2024 4:02 am

Wonderful Marvelous!

Astro_mark
Ensign

Post by Astro_mark » Fri May 17, 2024 7:50 pm

One of my favorite images from the Aurora/SAR so far.