APOD: Mount Etna Milky Way (2024 Jul 05)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Mount Etna Milky Way (2024 Jul 05)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:06 am

Image Mount Etna Milky Way

Explanation: A glow from the summit of Mount Etna, famous active stratovolcano of planet Earth, stands out along the horizon in this mountain and night skyscape. Bands of diffuse light from congeries of innumerable stars along the Milky Way galaxy stretch across the sky above. In silhouette, the Milky Way's massive dust clouds are clumped along the galactic plane. But also familiar to northern skygazers are bright stars Deneb, Vega, and Altair, the Summer Triangle straddling dark nebulae and luminous star clouds poised over the volcanic peak. The deep combined exposures also reveal the light of active star forming regions along the Milky Way, echoing Etna's ruddy hue in the northern hemisphere summer's night.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

johnnydeep
Commodore

Re: APOD: Mount Etna Milky Way (2024 Jul 05)

Post by johnnydeep » Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:45 pm

The Summer Triangle I presume:

summer tirangle over mount etna in sicily.jpg
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

beryllium732
Ensign

Post by beryllium732 » Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:56 pm

Do they night skies actually look like that? That visually distinguishable. I saw the Milky Way bar once but it didn't looked that distinctive, it was much fainter but still impressive.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:03 pm

beryllium732 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:56 pm Do they night skies actually look like that? That visually distinguishable. I saw the Milky Way bar once but it didn't looked that distinctive, it was much fainter but still impressive.
Nope. Our eyes aren't remotely that good. The process here is typical of nice looking detailed sky images, and entails "stacking" multiple long exposures (the automatic translation by my browser isn't perfect, but good enough):
The technique used to obtain this image was to shoot the same area of sky, at the same time, with two cameras (one of which was modified for astronomy) with the same focal length.

Landscape:

CANON EOS R
Lens 7 Artisans 14 mm. @f/4
21 15 second exposures @ISO 6,400

Sky:

CANON EOS RA
SIGMA DG 14 mm lens. f/1.8 @f/3.2
111 40 second exposures @ISO 6,400
DARK, NO FLAT
Optolong L-eNhance filter
IOPTRON SKY GUIDE PRO Star Tracker
SOFTWARE: Pixinsight, StarnetV2, Lightroom, Photoshop
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}