Weird phenomenon over Norway

The cosmos at our fingertips.
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Weird phenomenon over Norway

Post by geckzilla » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:28 am

Robert, that's just the photo from this article with the bottom cut off:
http://www.vg.no/nyheter/vaer/artikkel.php?artid=596359

I have actually seen that very photo "copyright" to several different people... that one says 2200 leserbilde on it, this one says "Rex Features", this one says Jan Peter... who knows whose it is. Since the 2200 leserbilde one is the biggest and most intact, it's probably the original. If so, the photographer's name is Jan Petter Jørgensen. Maybe this is him? http://www.72ppi.dk/
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:45 am

Thanks, GZ. Yes, I guess you are right. I didn't think enough to realize that the bottom was cut off to get around the copyright. Still, I wonder if the photographer even knows that a news organization had branded his image! I have looked for the photographer himself on the web but apparently he does not have the image on any easy-to-find web site. Also, I am surprised that more home-grown images of this phenomenon are not being posted by Norwegians themselves on Flicker or someplace. Oh well. Thanks again.

- RJN

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:46 am

Sorry, I edited my post about fifteen minutes after I made it because it took me that long to realize I should search for his website in Norwegian instead of English. Here is the link to one website that may be him:
http://www.72ppi.dk/

Argh, but it has a .dk domain instead of .no and since he's not Dutch, that'd be weird if it was him.

Ok, so I found another website here:
http://nordicairpower.com/page1.html

He takes great photos of planes. Maybe he happened to take this photo of the rocket? Oh crud, that guy's middle initial seems to be a g instead of a p... HMMMM

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:25 am

Nice to know yah all are on this. 8-)

Phil Plait? Now why would anybody ask that lying slanderous person anything?!?! :x

This is reading like the typical misdirection and misinformation stuff on conspiracy sites. :roll:
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:35 am

Good try anyway, GZ.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:42 am

RJN wrote:Also, I am surprised that more home-grown images of this phenomenon are not being posted by Norwegians themselves on Flicker or someplace.
The world is larger than USA, and the internet is larger than flicker. How about http://www.yr.no/nyheter/1.6902555

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:14 am

G'day

That is a fantastic image. My kids loved it.

Down under we never see odd images. Must be a North bound thing or a Viking God.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

Drabkikker
Ensign

Post by Drabkikker » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:56 am

Argh, but it has a .dk domain instead of .no and since he's not Dutch, that'd be weird if it was him.
Just a small remark: .dk is the domain name of Denmark (close to Norway), not Holland, which would be .nl, for 'the Netherlands', the residents of which are Dutch. Confusing, I know. :)

Drabkikker

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:18 pm

So, if it was that Russian rocket that caused this display, as such a rocket that is "spinning out of control", why do we not see it being blown up like is normally done with out of control rockets?!?! :wink:
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:34 pm

Drabkikker wrote:
Just a small remark: .dk is the domain name of Denmark (close to Norway), not Holland, which would be .nl, for 'the Netherlands', the residents of which are Dutch. Confusing, I know. :)

Drabkikker
You know, I looked it up and knew .dk was Denmark but then I wrote "Dutch" anyway. Shame on me. :oops:

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:37 pm

makc wrote:
RJN wrote:Also, I am surprised that more home-grown images of this phenomenon are not being posted by Norwegians themselves on Flicker or someplace.
The world is larger than USA, and the internet is larger than flicker. How about http://www.yr.no/nyheter/1.6902555
I've been looking at all these Norwegian media websites, too. While I can find the names of the photographers, it's next to impossible to find their contact information. There's some emails on that article but they don't appear to be associated with the photos. Am I missing something?

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Looking at the youtube remix of the msnbc broadcast, It appears like the entire phenom is spinning. both the Blue coil shape and the spiral cloud shape If it were in fact a rocket, and the spiraling blue trail was spewed as the rocket progressed, it shouldn't be still spinning much like a contrail doesn't still move backwards relative to the direction the jet is traveling. It should be a relatively stable blue hued spiral contrail.

I vote for a top secret Russian wormhole experiment disguised as a failed rocket attempt.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:39 pm

It (the cloud-like spiral pattern) is not actually spinning, though. The spin is an illusion!

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:51 am

G'day

and one from China

Does not look like an illusion

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixLE3ius ... r_embedded

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:39 pm

harry wrote: and one from China. Does not look like an illusion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixLE3ius ... r_embedded
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireworks wrote:
<<Fireworks were invented in ancient China in the 12th century to scare away evil spirits, as a natural extension of the Chinese invention of gunpowder. Such important events and festivities as Chinese New Year and the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival were and still are times when fireworks are guaranteed sights. China is the largest manufacturer and exporter of fireworks in the world.>>
Art Neuendorffer

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:04 pm

geckzilla wrote:Am I missing something?
sorry cant help with that. someone asked about this thing's pics on other forum, and native norvegian responded with this link, so I used it to flame rjn :)

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:53 am

G'day Neufer

Darn and I thought it was a you know what.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:43 pm

Another One? This one over Siberia.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.