APOD Assessment Poll #6c

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback

Have you seen the featured APOD image before?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:13 am

Yes.
92%
No.
5%
Maybe. And that's my final answer.
3%

Total votes: 1769

RJN
Baffled Boffin

APOD Assessment Poll #6c

Post by RJN » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:13 am

Today's (Sunday, 2020 December 6) APOD image has appeared on APOD before and was indeed quite widely circulated in the 1990s. We are curious, however, how many newer viewers of APOD are unfamiliar with some of astronomy's classic older images. APOD reruns images on Sundays partly to bring back to light famous astronomical images for those who have never seen them. Therefore, by answering this poll question honestly, you are helping APOD's editors better know what fraction of APOD's current audience might have or have not seen a historically famous astronomy image. Note, though, that this image is particularly famous, and we would therefore expect perhaps a comparatively high fraction of our viewers to have seen this image previously.

The image is again posted here for clarity:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: APOD Assessment Poll #6c

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:14 pm

All I got to say is; So What! I think it's OK to use Sundays as a repeat day! Maybe the answer would be to announce it as a repeat! I bet a lot of the new bees appreciate them! :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

SciFiForever88

Post by SciFiForever88 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:13 am

Seen it before and saved it in my Astronomy file. Don't mind occasional repeats 'cuz that's fewer new images to save & download. But sometimes y'all seem to re-repeat the same ones you've repeated repeatedly.

macky

Post by macky » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 am

I'm happy to view images like this as often as the editors see fit. The science and work behind said images that we would never have seen otherwise are simply marvelous, and worth viewing any time.
Thank you for the opportunity.

paul.s.adams

Post by paul.s.adams » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:15 am

I too have no issue with the occasional repeat. In today's page, I particularly liked the reference to the more recent IR image - comparison of those two ways of looking at the same item was very interesting.

Jeannie

Post by Jeannie » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:07 am

No claim to an infallible memory and I don't save the images. If something was interesting and beautiful last year (or whenever), it's pretty near certain I'll enjoy it again, so thanks. :ssmile:

shhd

Post by shhd » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:53 am

Even a little boring, as a previous writer said, a comparison with current observations/images, if available, would be much more interesting.

olddogzeroone@yahoo.com

Post by olddogzeroone@yahoo.com » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:30 pm

When the picture was first released back in 1995, I was working as a Planetarium Assistant/Show Presenter. It always gave me a thrill to show that image to the audience, whether they were adults or school kids. Invariably, when they saw that picture projected on the inside of the dome, there would be a chorus of oooohs, aaahs, and wows. Then, again, when they were told that stars were being born inside that nebula.
That picture still inspires awe and wonder. I think it has become the iconic image of the Hubble program, and possibly of astronomy of the 20th century.
In today's fast moving, no attention span, it's old at 2 minutes world... Everyone deserves the chance to see it again, every once in a while. :thumb_up: :clap:

rroth@igc.org

Post by rroth@igc.org » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:55 pm

What is masked out in the upper right corner of the image?
I remember wondering this the first time around but now there is this chance to ask, thanks!

CuriousChimp
Ensign
AKA: "Get off of our planet!"

Post by CuriousChimp » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:12 pm

rroth@igc.org wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:55 pm What is masked out in the upper right corner of the image?
I remember wondering this the first time around but now there is this chance to ask, thanks!
That was just the shape of the camera's field of view, caused by the cut-out bit being used for other instruments. It's expensive to haul things into orbit and every little bit of space is used if possible. Compromises are often made. We need "Puddle-Jumpers" to make this stuff easier.

There were no alien structures hidden by NASA/JPL/ESA/JAXA co-conspirators nor wandering Nibiru's in the redacted parts.

Honestly, there weren't. Really. Truly. You can trust me, I don't work for The Great Conspiracy.

[Of course, if I did, I would have to say that, wouldn't I?]

Merry Christmas and have a wonderful New Year.

jwallace

Post by jwallace » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:14 pm

I've see pictures of M16 many times, but can't say whether I've seen this composition before. I've captured one of the M16 images and incorporated it as wallpaper on my cell phone.

Bruce Costa

Post by Bruce Costa » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:22 pm

Yes, first from you. Then, here!
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
If you've missed it, prepare to be :shock:

Sailor457

Post by Sailor457 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:21 pm

I am delighted to see views from the past, as it refreshes my memories. This one has always been one of my favorites.
Richard

Jim Baker

Post by Jim Baker » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:49 pm

Gentlemen, thank you for an appropriate and delightful 70th birthday present. Jim

wjca

Post by wjca » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:00 pm

The Pillars of Creation photo has been famous since it was first published a quarter of a century ago. But still worth repeating.

crancowan

Post by crancowan » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:35 pm

That image changed my life. After it came out I went out and bought a bunch of telescopes, learned about spectroscopy and made APOD my first and only homepage.

xlibris21@verizon.net

Post by xlibris21@verizon.net » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:04 pm

I absolutely love this picture! I learn something new from the comments and the views every time. You all do a terrific job. It makes my day :D

johnch

Post by johnch » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:45 am

One of the most iconic astronomy images ever. It's still awe inspiring after 25 years. Thank you!

surfer jay

Post by surfer jay » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:51 am

1Mx!

pablo valenzuela f

Post by pablo valenzuela f » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:10 pm

Ni importa repetir las imágenes. Lo que interesa son los comentarios y links nuevos . El universo seguirá igual por varias semanas más, pero nuestro conocimiento cambia todos los días.Pablo Valenzuela F.

CuriousChimp
Ensign
AKA: "Get off of our planet!"

Post by CuriousChimp » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:26 pm

I am fairly sure that this was one of the wallpapers on one of Seven's screens in her Astrometrics Laboratory aboard the Starship "Voyager" for years.

This has always seemed a little strange to me, that she would prefer a four-century old, low-resolution image from the Alpha Quadrant rather than something glorious and 3-d from her home in the Delta but that's alien cyborgs for you.

longtry
Ensign

Post by longtry » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:16 am

IMO occasional repeats are OK, as long as they feature different narrative texts each time, along with links for the newest related discoveries.

Arne
Asternaut

Post by Arne » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:20 pm

Actually, I like to see repeats (or close variations) on occasion. Like "Longtry" states above, new material or pertinent updates along with the imaging is welcome.