Windows

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Windows

Post by neufer » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:14 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Re: Windows

Post by Ann » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:59 pm

neufer wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:14 pm
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
As usual, Art will not explain anything about the video.

I have seen it myself. The window tha tthe man is squeezing through is not a "straight" rectangle with right angles. Instead, one side of the window is shorter and one is longer. The result is that most humans will interpret the "shorter sides" of the window as being farther away, when that is not necessarily the case at all.

Bottom line: When this window is rotating, most humans see it as flipping back and forth. So when a person squeezes through one of the openings, the whole thing looks impossible.

It's a fun video. I recommend it.

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:19 am

Ann wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:59 pm
The window that the man is squeezing through is not a "straight" rectangle with right angles. Instead, one side of the window is shorter and one is longer. The result is that most humans will interpret the "shorter sides" of the window as being farther away, when that is not necessarily the case at all. When this window is rotating, most humans see it as flipping back and forth. So when a person squeezes through one of the openings, the whole thing looks impossible.
If you had grown up in Stockholm you might have found it more challenging.
Art Neuendorffer

THX1138
Emailed Bob; Got a new title!
AKA: Wile-e-coyote super genius

Post by THX1138 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:20 pm

No way Ann, its actually magic and you're just spreading alternative facts
'
I've come to the conclusion that when i said i wanted to be somebody when i grew up i probably should have been more specific

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:28 am

When I see the title of this thread I imagine a conversation about operating systems... :mrgreen:

Coilavana
Asternaut

Post by Coilavana » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:28 am

I saw this video a couple of years ago. In fact, there are a lot more useful and interesting ones on the internet. If we talk about videos related to encryption keys, there are even separate YouTube channels about it.

patsy3523
Asternaut

Post by patsy3523 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:43 am

I just wanted to chime in on the Windows video discussion. I agree, it's definitely a fun video! I've watched it myself and I found it interesting how the shape of the window can play tricks on our perception. It's fascinating how our brains interpret the world around us based on visual cues, even when they might not be entirely accurate.

LillianaGlass
Asternaut

Post by LillianaGlass » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:57 pm

Reminds me of a quirky digital window situation I encountered recently. Picture this: I'm messing around with a new graphics program, and the window I'm working on had this bizarre illusion. Similar to what you described, the window wasn't your typical rectangle—it played tricks on the eyes. One side seemed shorter, and the other longer, creating a flip-flopping effect as it rotated. Took me a while to wrap my head around it, but eventually, I cracked the code and made it work seamlessly.