Dead Sticks

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Dead Sticks

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:41 pm

I collected a lot of dead sticks over the winter; now I have to get rid of them! Garbage man won't take them! :evil:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Dead Sticks

Post by neufer » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:18 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:41 pm
I collected a lot of dead sticks over the winter; now I have to get rid of them!
Garbage man won't take them! :evil:
https://www.compostthis.co.uk/wood wrote:
  • Can I Compost Wood?
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
<<Since it is a natural product, real wood will decompose into lovely humus – but anything bigger than twigs will take a LONG time to rot down. In the meantime, it’ll probably clog up your compost heap, making it difficult to turn over and/or extract other finished compost.

If you do want to compost wood (rather than using it/burning it), it would be better to have a dedicated space for it elsewhere in your garden. In the (many) years it’ll take to rot down, it’ll serve as a playground for all sorts of beneficial insects rather than just getting in your way.

Some councils pick up wood (such as large logs or branches) as part of their green waste collection service. Alternatively, people with wood burning stoves will love to get their hands on your wood (ahem) – offer it on a local noticeboard (either offline or online) and someone will probably be able to collect it within a few days.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:51 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:41 pm I collected a lot of dead sticks over the winter; now I have to get rid of them! Garbage man won't take them! :evil:
We do a lot of branch trimming for fire mitigation. We chip the wood and mix it with horse and goat manure to produce a high quality fertilizer. But even without the addition of the manure, the wood chips make good mulch, which you might be able to use. It doesn't cost much to rent a chipper for a few hours.

Most places have services which will accept slash, usually for free, to be mulched and used for various purposes. Have you checked around?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer

and it's a beautiful day. Well

Post by neufer » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:15 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:51 pm
We do a lot of branch trimming for fire mitigation. We chip the wood and mix it with horse and goat manure to produce a high quality fertilizer. But even without the addition of the manure, the wood chips make good mulch, which you might be able to use. It doesn't cost much to rent a chipper for a few hours.
  • Marge Gunderson : So, that was Mrs. Lundegaard on the floor in there. And I guess that was your accomplice in the wood chipper. And those three people in Brainerd. And for what? For a little bit of money? There's more to life than a little money, you know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it.
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: and it's a beautiful day. Well

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:00 pm

neufer wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:15 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:51 pm
  • Marge Gunderson : So, that was Mrs. Lundegaard on the floor in there. And I guess that was your accomplice in the wood chipper. And those three people in Brainerd. And for what? For a little bit of money? There's more to life than a little money, you know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it.
When I made my comment, I chose not to make mention of the various other uses that wood chippers have been put to.

(That said, the chipper we use can take in 8-inch diameter branches. Logs. So you can use your imagination.)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:19 pm

Thanks guys; the land fill picks up leaves and grass and garden waste bur not wood! I got an old defunct grill i can burn in, but the wind is pretty brisk this year! A wood chipper eh? 🧐
Orin

neufer

Sticks & stones will break your bones (but to do a really good job...

Post by neufer » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:03 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:19 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:00 pm
neufer wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:15 pm
When I made my comment, I chose not to make mention of the various other uses that wood chippers have been put to. (That said, the chipper we use can take in 8-inch diameter branches. Logs. So you can use your imagination.)
Thanks guys; the land fill picks up leaves and grass and garden waste bur not wood! I got an old defunct grill i can burn in, but the wind is pretty brisk this year! A wood chipper eh? 🧐
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_meal wrote:
<<Bone meal is a mixture of finely and coarsely ground animal bones and slaughter-house waste products. As a slow-release fertilizer, bone meal is primarily used as a source of phosphorus, calcium and protein. However, bone meal does not provide enough nitrogen to be beneficial to plants. Blood meal is different from bone meal in that blood meal contains a higher amount of nitrogen. Blood meal is sometimes used as a composting activator.>>
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat May 08, 2021 9:36 pm

I was able to get clear of dead sticks by slow burning in my fire pit; but it took a while! Now we will be picking up sticks all over again! :mrgreen:
Orin