APOD: The Lively Center of the Lagoon Nebula (2022 May 25)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: The Lively Center of the Lagoon Nebula (2022 May 25)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed May 25, 2022 4:06 am

Image The Lively Center of the Lagoon Nebula

Explanation: The center of the Lagoon Nebula is a whirlwind of spectacular star formation. Visible near the image center, at least two long funnel-shaped clouds, each roughly half a light-year long, have been formed by extreme stellar winds and intense energetic starlight. A tremendously bright nearby star, Herschel 36, lights the area. Vast walls of dust hide and redden other hot young stars. As energy from these stars pours into the cool dust and gas, large temperature differences in adjoining regions can be created generating shearing winds which may cause the funnels. This picture, spanning about 10 light years, combines images taken in six colors by the orbiting Hubble Space Telescope. The Lagoon Nebula, also known as M8, lies about 5000 light years distant toward the constellation of the Archer (Sagittarius).

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: The Lively Center of the Lagoon Nebula (2022 May 25)

Post by Ann » Wed May 25, 2022 5:14 am

I've always been weirded out by that juxtaposition of flat bright yellow and flat bright cyan in the Hubble image of the center of the Lagoon:

Lagoon Nebula center.png

Hubblesite wrote:

The Hubble view shows off the bubble’s 3D structure. Dust pushed away from the star reveals the glowing oxygen gas (in blue) behind the blown-out cavity. Herschel 36’s brilliant light is illuminating the top of the cavity (in yellow). The reddish hue that dominates part of the region is glowing nitrogen. The dark purple areas represent a mixture of hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen.
Yeah, well.

It is an interesting image, to be sure. But I've never quite been able to understand the structures that we are seeing. Herschel 36’s brilliant light is illuminating the top of the cavity (in yellow) - really?

Ann
Color Commentator

AVAO
Commander
AKA: multiwavelength traveller

Post by AVAO » Wed May 25, 2022 5:48 am

APOD Robot wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:06 am This picture[/url], spanning about 10 light years, combines images taken in six colors by the orbiting Hubble Space Telescope.
I think it would be better to talk about wavelengths instead of colors here. the stars are "borrowed" from the near infrared and many of them would probably not be visible at all in visible light.

Beaker42

Post by Beaker42 » Wed May 25, 2022 6:18 am

Does anyone have an idea why it appears that the star groups on the left of the image appear to be arrayed in chains of stars? Is this an optical illusion, human visual pattern matching? Or are there really chains of stars (or at least stars arranged in flat planes oriented edge-on towards us) ? I have noticed this effect in other Hubble photos, but it seems quite pronounced in this one.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed May 25, 2022 7:50 am

Beaker42 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:18 am Does anyone have an idea why it appears that the star groups on the left of the image appear to be arrayed in chains of stars? Is this an optical illusion, human visual pattern matching? Or are there really chains of stars (or at least stars arranged in flat planes oriented edge-on towards us) ? I have noticed this effect in other Hubble photos, but it seems quite pronounced in this one.
STScI-01EVT0PK28WGSJV4K5601FJGRH[1].png
Lagoon Nebula in visible light. Credits: NASA, ESA, and STScI.

As you can see, the small red stars that pepper the field in today's APOD are not seen at all in the original NASA image (at left). But as AVAO pointed out, the red stars are probably infrared objects, and the original NASA image shows the center of the Lagoon Nebula in visible light.

As to why the stars appear to be arranged in chains, there are two possibilities. Either it is just a chance configuration of stars at similar or different distances seen in projection. But it might - might, mind you - reflect the tendency of stars to be born from elongated dust lanes.

Ann
Color Commentator

astrozsarac
Asternaut

Post by astrozsarac » Wed May 25, 2022 10:10 am

AVAO wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:48 am
APOD Robot wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:06 am This picture[/url], spanning about 10 light years, combines images taken in six colors by the orbiting Hubble Space Telescope.
I think it would be better to talk about wavelengths instead of colors here. the stars are "borrowed" from the near infrared and many of them would probably not be visible at all in visible light.
Aren't visible light colors actually wavelets? Color wavelengths that we cannot see do not change the fact that they exist.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed May 25, 2022 12:45 pm

astrozsarac wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:10 am
AVAO wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:48 am
Aren't visible light colors actually wavelets? Color wavelengths that we cannot see do not change the fact that they exist.
Wavelength is a physical property of light. Color is a physiological response or categorization. Filters do not pass "colors" they pass wavelengths of light. That data is then processed in a way that maps it to the primary display channels, which results in our eyes perceiving color. Generally, no light should be referred to using the term "color" when we're considering astronomical images like this. But I agree with AVAO that using the term for wavelengths that we can't even see is a particularly bad idea. (It can be a fine line between simplifying language for a broad audience and dumbing down language. I think this is too far towards the latter.)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed May 25, 2022 12:46 pm

LagoonCenter_HubbleOzsarac_3937.jpg
Lagoon center; sounds like a scary place! :shock: Nice to look at but
sounds like not a nice place to visit :mrgreen:
450px-VST_images_the_Lagoon_Nebula.jpg
Beautiful Lagoon nebula! I always thought of as a very beautiful
nebula! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Wed May 25, 2022 2:49 pm

Ann wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:50 am
Beaker42 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:18 am Does anyone have an idea why it appears that the star groups on the left of the image appear to be arrayed in chains of stars? Is this an optical illusion, human visual pattern matching? Or are there really chains of stars (or at least stars arranged in flat planes oriented edge-on towards us) ? I have noticed this effect in other Hubble photos, but it seems quite pronounced in this one.
As you can see, the small red stars that pepper the field in today's APOD are not seen at all in the original NASA image (at left). But as AVAO pointed out, the red stars are probably infrared objects, and the original NASA image shows the center of the Lagoon Nebula in visible light.

Ann
Per the text, are not all the red stars due to interstellar reddening?
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed May 25, 2022 5:42 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:49 pm

Ann
Reddening is not constant, but it is variable depending on the amount of dust in front of the stars.

Rho Oph and IC 4603 Thomas Davis.png
Stars Rho Oph and HD 147889 in IC 4603 are reddened by different amounts.
Credit: Thomas V. Davis.

The dust cloud in front of a star field demonstrates the nature of reddening. An interesting example of variable reddening can be found in the Rho Ophiuchi and IC 4603 region. Rho Ophiuchi and HD 147899 belong to the same spectral class, B2, and they are intrinsically probably more or less the same color. We would expect an unreddened star of spectral class B2 to have a B-V index of around -0.2. However, both Rho Oph and HD 147899 are reddened by dust, but they are reddened by different amounts. The B-V index of Rho Oph is +0.23, whereas the B-V index of HD 147899 is +0.76. In the case of Rho Oph, much of its blue light has been scattered in a large reflection nebula, but in the case of HD 147899, the star is hidden behind so much dust the the reflection nebula surrounding it is barely blue.

My point is that I don't expect the stars near the center of the Lagoon Nebula to be reddened by the same amount. But they do, indeed, look about equally red. My guess is that these stars have been detected by one and the same infrared filter, and therefore the huge majority of them appear to be the same shade of red. Most of them would not be visible at optical wavelengths.

Ann
Color Commentator

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Wed May 25, 2022 6:53 pm

Ann wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:42 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:49 pm

Ann
Reddening is not constant, but it is variable depending on the amount of dust in front of the stars.

Rho Oph and IC 4603 Thomas Davis.png
Stars Rho Oph and HD 147889 in IC 4603 are reddened by different amounts.
Credit: Thomas V. Davis.

The dust cloud in front of a star field demonstrates the nature of reddening. An interesting example of variable reddening can be found in the Rho Ophiuchi and IC 4603 region. Rho Ophiuchi and HD 147899 belong to the same spectral class, B2, and they are intrinsically probably more or less the same color. We would expect an unreddened star of spectral class B2 to have a B-V index of around -0.2. However, both Rho Oph and HD 147899 are reddened by dust, but they are reddened by different amounts. The B-V index of Rho Oph is +0.23, whereas the B-V index of HD 147899 is +0.76. In the case of Rho Oph, much of its blue light has been scattered in a large reflection nebula, but in the case of HD 147899, the star is hidden behind so much dust the the reflection nebula surrounding it is barely blue.

My point is that I don't expect the stars near the center of the Lagoon Nebula to be reddened by the same amount. But they do, indeed, look about equally red. My guess is that these stars have been detected by one and the same infrared filter, and therefore the huge majority of them appear to be the same shade of red. Most of them would not be visible at optical wavelengths.

Ann
Ok, got it - thanks.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

AVAO
Commander

Post by AVAO » Wed May 25, 2022 7:18 pm

Ann
This star-filled image, taken by Hubble in near-infrared wavelengths of light (right side), reveals a very different view of the Lagoon Nebula compared to its visible-light portrait. The observations were taken by Hubble’s Wide Field Camera 3 (WFC3) instrument between February 12 and 18, 2018. Image credit: NASA / ESA / STScI.

https://hubblesite.org/contents/media/i ... Image.html

Today's APOD is probably a combination of these wavelengths. ... and a sixth?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed May 25, 2022 7:26 pm

AVAO wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:18 pm

Ann
This star-filled image, taken by Hubble in near-infrared wavelengths of light, reveals a very different view of the Lagoon Nebula compared to its visible-light portrait. The observations were taken by Hubble’s Wide Field Camera 3 (WFC3) instrument between February 12 and 18, 2018. Image credit: NASA / ESA / STScI.

Red: WFC3/IR F160W
Orange: WFC3/IR F125W
Yellow-Green: WFC3/UVIS F658N
Green-Blue: WFC3/UVIS F656N
Cyan: WFC3/UVIS F547M
Blue: WFC3/UVIS F502N

The mapping, stated this way, is a bit odd and ambiguous, as cyan, yellow, and orange aren't primaries in this image.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

markb212
Asternaut

Post by markb212 » Thu May 26, 2022 3:42 am

Very interesting discussions of wavelengths in this image and how they're mapped "to the primary display channels ..." (Chris). But does anyone else see a winged creature hovering over that central area?

(Sorry, it's the first thing I noticed 🙄.)

Mark B.

Beaker42

Post by Beaker42 » Thu May 26, 2022 5:17 am

markb212 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:42 am Very interesting discussions of wavelengths in this image and how they're mapped "to the primary display channels ..." (Chris). But does anyone else see a winged creature hovering over that central area?

(Sorry, it's the first thing I noticed 🙄.)

Mark B.
Yes... It was the first thing I saw too! This image immediately came to mind:

:shock:

Oh.. Ann, thanks for answering my 'star-chains' question!

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu May 26, 2022 6:14 am

AVAO wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:18 pm This star-filled image, taken by Hubble in near-infrared wavelengths of light (right side), reveals a very different view of the Lagoon Nebula compared to its visible-light portrait. The observations were taken by Hubble’s Wide Field Camera 3 (WFC3) instrument between February 12 and 18, 2018. Image credit: NASA / ESA / STScI.

WFC3/UVIS F547M Luminosity
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

AVAO
Commander

Post by AVAO » Thu May 26, 2022 6:23 am

bystander wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:14 am
AVAO wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:18 pm This star-filled image, taken by Hubble in near-infrared wavelengths of light (right side), reveals a very different view of the Lagoon Nebula compared to its visible-light portrait. The observations were taken by Hubble’s Wide Field Camera 3 (WFC3) instrument between February 12 and 18, 2018. Image credit: NASA / ESA / STScI.

WFC3/UVIS F547M Luminosity
Thank's Chris and bystander for more detailed informations.