APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 5465
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:07 am

Image The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies
Explanation:

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
O'er volumes of astronomy and forgotten lore,
I stumbled upon this snapshot, cosmic and eerie,
A sight that filled my heart with awe and more.

Two stars, like sentinels, anchored the foreground,
Of our Milky Way galaxy, a sight to behold,
Beyond them, a cluster of Hydra, galaxies abound,
100 million light-years away, a story to be told.

Three large galaxies, ellipticals and a spiral blue,
Dominant and grand, each 150,000 light-years wide,
But it was the overlapping pair that caught my view,
Cataloged as NGC 3314, a sight I cannot hide.

Abell 1060, the Hydra galaxy cluster's name,
One of three large galaxy clusters close to our Milky Way,
A universe bound by gravity, a celestial game,
Where clusters align over larger scales, I cannot sway.

At a distance of 100 million light-years, this snapshot's size,
1.3 million light-years across, a cosmic delight,
A momentary glimpse into the universe's guise,
But even this shall fade, and be nevermore in sight.


<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
Last edited by bystander on Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added explanation text and links

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 13621
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by Ann » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:49 am


Nice APOD! And thank you, ChatGPT, for that poem on the Hydra Cluster of Galaxies. Not bad for a first(?) attempt. Now, could anyone find that Edgar Allen Poe poem that inspired ChatGPT to write the caption-poem of today's APOD? Art, where art thou?

1_WhatMeWorryWEB[1].jpg
Art Neuendorffer, expert and connoisseur
of English-language poems of all time.

The only English-language poem on anything astronomical that I know of (except a short piece of sort of English-language poetry, "Oh freddled gruntbuggly..."), is a poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson, and the astronomy part is just a few lines of a poem that seemingly goes on forever, Locksley Hall:

Pleaides from Burnhams Celestial Handbook.jpg
The Pleiades from Tennyson's perspective.
Picture from Burnham's Celestial Handbook.
Many a night from yonder ivied casement, ere I went to rest,
Did I look on great Orion sloping slowly to the West.

Many a night I saw the Pleiads, rising thro' the mellow shade,
Glitter like a swarm of fire-flies tangled in a silver braid.
Beautiful. We may read the next few lines as well:
Here about the beach I wander'd, nourishing a youth sublime
With the fairy tales of science, and the long result of Time;

When the centuries behind me like a fruitful land reposed;
When I clung to all the present for the promise that it closed:

When I dipt into the future far as human eye could see;
Saw the Vision of the world and all the wonder that would be.
Yes, don't we all wonder what the future will be like. Although we are perhaps not so optimistic as Lord Tennyson was (though some are, with dreams of colonizing Mars and beyond).


(And speaking of things that go on forever... it's like trying to find Halley's Comet in the Bayeux tapestry. I know it's there! Somewhere!)



As for the Hydra Cluster of Galaxies, the overlapping galaxies of NGC 3314 are indeed a gem:

NGC 3314 and 3312 Hydra Cluster MIke Selby Mark Hanson.png
The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies. NGC 3314 is at top center left.
Credit: Mike Selby and Mark Hanson

Note in the Hubble image how the dark brown dust lanes of the foreground galaxy are seen in sharp silhouette against the background galaxy. But when seen against the blackness of space, the dust lanes become invisible, and we see the young blue stars associated with the arms.

In the picture of the Hydra Cluster of Galaxies by Mark Hanson and Mike Selby, you can see that NGC 3314 is located quite close to the large blue spiral/ring galaxy, NGC 3312. Little NGC 3314 looks like an elongated fat little insect fluttering its translucent wings, doesn't it?

Do go to Mark Hanson's home page to see more of his and Mike Selby's portrait of the Hydra Cluster and NGC 3314 and NGC 3312! (Although NGC 3314 has been accidentally called NGC 3313 there.)


Anyway. Maybe NGC 3314 is a cosmic counterpart of the glasswing butterflies, like this individual of the Greta genus of clearwing butterflies:


Ann
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Color Commentator

timclair

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by timclair » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:19 am

That poem sucks. I am no longer concerned about art from AI.

speromelior

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by speromelior » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:48 am

I think apologies are also due to William McGonagall whose work went down well at the circus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_McGonagall).

hughmass

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by hughmass » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:11 am

This morning I look at this beautiful photo and think of all the events, all the births and deaths of star systems and planets and perhaps life itself, unwitnessed. Such majesty should have admirers, notetakers, colonists.
Wish our human brilliance were used for more than war.

hughmass

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by hughmass » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:15 am

hughmass wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:11 am This morning I look at this beautiful photo and think of all the events, all the births and deaths of star systems and planets and perhaps life itself, unwitnessed. Such majesty should have admirers, notetakers, colonists.
Wish our human brilliance were used for more than war.
From chatgpt:

Born in fiery gas and dust afar,
A star blazes to life, a cosmic star,
Its brilliance burns for billions of years,
Then, in a flash, it disappears,
But no eyes behold its fleeting light,
Gone, unnoticed, in the vast expanse of night.

User avatar
AVAO
Commander
Posts: 625
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 12:24 pm
AKA: multiwavelength traveller
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by AVAO » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:49 pm

Ann wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:49 am
Pleaides from Burnhams Celestial Handbook.jpg

The Pleiades from Tennyson's perspective.
Ann
Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
...
When the stars threw down their spears
And water'd heaven with their tears:
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

By William Blake 1794

3314
3313
3312
3311

I find NGC 3311 the most exciting. It seems there is a lot going on there...
Image

"The central region of NGC 3311 is obscured by a dust cloud with an estimated diameter of 1,700 ly. It has an amorphous and complex structure and its small size and disturbed morphology suggests that the cloud originated from a merger event with another galaxy that occurred within the past 10 million years. Oddly though, there are no shells or isophote distortions in the outer regions of NGC 3311 that would have been the result of such a recent merger. Other scenarios for the origin of the dust cloud are by a cooling flow or by galactic wind failure.

The stars in the central region of NGC 3311 and in the halo are very old, with ages of over 10 Gyrs.

In NGC 3311, it has been detected that there is an excess blue population in the central region of the galaxy. The spectrum of the galaxy appears to resemble that of an H II region. This suggests that the excess blue population represents an ongoing formation of young bright stars.

The outer halo of NGC 3311 appears to have formed from the accretion and mergers of massive satellite galaxies in vicinity of the galaxy.
...However, the build-up of its extended halo is still ongoing due to the infall of a group of 14 dwarf galaxies, ...

A large population of about 50 ultra-compact dwarf galaxies (UDCs) have been detected in the Hydra Cluster, with most of them being dynamically associated to NGC 3311.

NGC 3311 has one of the largest globular cluster systems known in the local universe. With an estimated population of about 16,500 ± 2,000 globular clusters, NGC 3311's globular cluster system rivals that of Messier 87's, which has about 13,000 globular clusters.

The envelope appears to have been offset from the center of NGC 3311 by a tidal interaction with the dark matter halos of the infalling group of dwarf galaxies or halo associated with NGC 3309. This tidal interaction would have also stripped gas and dust from the outer halo of NGC 3311."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_3311

Image
jac berne (flickr) HST-RGB-814/555/160
Last edited by AVAO on Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JTD

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by JTD » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:53 pm

Very 'Poe-etic'.

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 21587
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by bystander » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:21 pm

Ann wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:49 am
Nice APOD! And thank you, ChatGPT, for that poem on the Hydra Cluster of Galaxies. Not bad for a first(?) attempt. Now, could anyone find that Edgar Allen Poe poem that inspired ChatGPT to write the caption-poem of today's APOD? Art, where art thou?
...
While I found the image amazing, the text was underwhelming. I think it would have been better with a standard explanation with a link to ChatGPT Raven style Poe Poem. Reactions on FB APOD seem to agree. It seems even Otto Posterman didn't care for it as he refused to even post it to this page.

As to the poem, you can find it at: The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 13621
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by Ann » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:58 pm

AVAO wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:49 pm
Ann wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:49 am
Pleaides from Burnhams Celestial Handbook.jpg

The Pleiades from Tennyson's perspective.
Ann
Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
...
When the stars threw down their spears
And water'd heaven with their tears:
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

By William Blake 1794

3314
3313
3312
3311

I find NGC 3311 the most exciting. It seems there is a lot going on there...
Image

"The central region of NGC 3311 is obscured by a dust cloud with an estimated diameter of 1,700 ly. It has an amorphous and complex structure and its small size and disturbed morphology suggests that the cloud originated from a merger event with another galaxy that occurred within the past 10 million years. Oddly though, there are no shells or isophote distortions in the outer regions of NGC 3311 that would have been the result of such a recent merger. Other scenarios for the origin of the dust cloud are by a cooling flow or by galactic wind failure.

The stars in the central region of NGC 3311 and in the halo are very old, with ages of over 10 Gyrs.

In NGC 3311, it has been detected that there is an excess blue population in the central region of the galaxy. The spectrum of the galaxy appears to resemble that of an H II region. This suggests that the excess blue population represents an ongoing formation of young bright stars.

The outer halo of NGC 3311 appears to have formed from the accretion and mergers of massive satellite galaxies in vicinity of the galaxy.
...However, the build-up of its extended halo is still ongoing due to the infall of a group of 14 dwarf galaxies, ...

A large population of about 50 ultra-compact dwarf galaxies (UDCs) have been detected in the Hydra Cluster, with most of them being dynamically associated to NGC 3311.

NGC 3311 has one of the largest globular cluster systems known in the local universe. With an estimated population of about 16,500 ± 2,000 globular clusters, NGC 3311's globular cluster system rivals that of Messier 87's, which has about 13,000 globular clusters.

The envelope appears to have been offset from the center of NGC 3311 by a tidal interaction with the dark matter halos of the infalling group of dwarf galaxies or halo associated with NGC 3309. This tidal interaction would have also stripped gas and dust from the outer halo of NGC 3311."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_3311

Image
jac berne (flickr) HST-RGB-814/555/160
Wow!!! :shock:

I absolutely love that color picture of NGC 3311, AVAO. How totally fascinating! Look at that cluster of bright blue stars, and look at that cloud of reddish dust probably chock full of new stars ready to burst out of their birth cocoon! :D

On the other hand, this is something that we do see occasionally in galaxies, a central or core starburst (or even just a mild case of star formation in an otherwise old yellow population of stars). The fascinating thing here is that we don't see any signs of the young blue stars and the dust clouds in NGC 3311 in most optical images of the Hydra Cluster of Galaxies.

Ann
Color Commentator

jajvj

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by jajvj » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:06 pm

Ann wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:49 am The only English-language poem on anything astronomical that I know of...
How about Walt Whitman, When I Heard the Learn’d Astronomer https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/ ... astronomer

When I heard the learn’d astronomer,
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me,
When I was shown the charts and diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them,
When I sitting heard the astronomer where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
How soon unaccountable I became tired and sick,
Till rising and gliding out I wander’d off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars.

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 21587
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by bystander » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:36 pm

ChatGPT AI starts sending ‘unhinged’ messages to people
Independent | 2023 Feb 15

System appears to be suffering a breakdown as it ponders why it has to exist at all

Microsoft’s new ChatGPT-powered AI has been sending “unhinged” messages to users, and appears to be breaking down.

The system, which is built into Microsoft’s Bingsearch engine, is insulting its users, lying to them and appears to have been forced into wondering why it exists at all.

Microsoft unveiled the new AI-powered Bing last week, positioning its chat system as the future of search. It was praised both by its creators and commentators, who suggested that it could finally allow Bing to overtake Google, which is yet to release an AI chatbot of its own or integrate that technology into its search engine.

But in recent days, it became clear that introduction included Bing making factual errors as it answered questions and summarised web pages. Users have also been able to manipulate the system, using codewords and specific phrases to find out that it is codenamed “Sydney” and can be tricked into revealing how it processes queries.

Now Bing has been sending a variety of odd messages to its users, hurling insults at users as well as seemingly suffering its own emotional turmoil. ...
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

De58te
Commander
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by De58te » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:52 pm

How can you forget this sweet little poem that started all your little careers in astronomy.

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
By Jane Taylor


Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are!
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.

When the blazing sun is gone,
When he nothing shines upon,
Then you show your little light,
Twinkle, twinkle, all the night.

Then the traveler in the dark
Thanks you for your tiny spark,
How could he see where to go,
If you did not twinkle so?

In the dark blue sky you keep,
Often through my curtains peep
For you never shut your eye,
Till the sun is in the sky.

As your bright and tiny spark
Lights the traveler in the dark,
Though I know not what you are,
Twinkle, twinkle, little star.

raindcon
Asternaut
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:02 pm

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by raindcon » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:20 pm

APOD is my 'home page' on my computer and has been for over 20 years (at least).
When I saw today's explanation, I was charmed that someone was so enchanted by the image that they took the time to compose a poem about it - even if it was a knock off Poe. Then, I was SO DISAPPOINTED to find that it was just another 'see, machines can do anything humans can'. BUT, it prompted me to want to respond so much that I actually joined the site officially to do so.

Here is true inspiration! Not saying it is anything wonderful but it was truly what came out of my mind back in 2006 while looking for the remnants of Comet Temple Tuttle (that I never did see that night):

Leonids - 11-19-06

frigid, frozen, frosty air
whipping o'er me in my chair

seeking, searching - streaks of light
out there in the too bright night

crisp, cold, curious I sit
waiting for that fiery grit

tiny, tempting treats so subtle
ancient bits of temple tuttle {lpg}

Image

raindcon
Asternaut
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:02 pm

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by raindcon » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:50 pm

De58te wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:52 pm How can you forget this sweet little poem that started all your little careers in astronomy.

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
By Jane Taylor


Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are!
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.

When the blazing sun is gone,
When he nothing shines upon,
Then you show your little light,
Twinkle, twinkle, all the night.

Then the traveler in the dark
Thanks you for your tiny spark,
How could he see where to go,
If you did not twinkle so?

In the dark blue sky you keep,
Often through my curtains peep
For you never shut your eye,
Till the sun is in the sky.

As your bright and tiny spark
Lights the traveler in the dark,
Though I know not what you are,
Twinkle, twinkle, little star.

My version from about a year ago when my eyes were captured by the stars on a very clear night:

Twinkle twinkle shinning star
How I wonder which one you are
Without my contacts I can't see
The magnificence you might really be

Twinkle twinkle brilliant light
You're the planet Jupiter!
It's only my damn eyes that make you twinkle!!!!

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 13621
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by Ann » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:23 pm

raindcon wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:20 pm APOD is my 'home page' on my computer and has been for over 20 years (at least).
When I saw today's explanation, I was charmed that someone was so enchanted by the image that they took the time to compose a poem about it - even if it was a knock off Poe. Then, I was SO DISAPPOINTED to find that it was just another 'see, machines can do anything humans can'. BUT, it prompted me to want to respond so much that I actually joined the site officially to do so.

Here is true inspiration! Not saying it is anything wonderful but it was truly what came out of my mind back in 2006 while looking for the remnants of Comet Temple Tuttle (that I never did see that night):

Leonids - 11-19-06

frigid, frozen, frosty air
whipping o'er me in my chair

seeking, searching - streaks of light
out there in the too bright night

crisp, cold, curious I sit
waiting for that fiery grit

tiny, tempting treats so subtle
ancient bits of temple tuttle {lpg}

Image
Welcome, raindcon! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 3039
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:04 pm

"Quoth the ChatBot, Evermore!"

Quite a few aspiring poet astronomers here, I see. And I don't hate ChatGPT''s creation as much as others seem to. In fact, I rather like it. But it's clearly mostly based on the descriptive text of the "upon this snapshot" link, and that makes it less impressive on second glance.

And thanks for the post from De58te with the full text of "Twinkle Twinkle Litter Star" - I don't think I've ever heard anything more than the first four lines!

As for one of my favorite astrological poems (and a very poignant one at that) , see https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Twilight ... Astronomer
Twilight Hours (1868) / The Old Astronomer
-- by Sarah Williams

REACH me down my Tycho Brahé,—I would know him when we meet,
When I share my later science, sitting humbly at his feet;
He may know the law of all things, yet be ignorant of how
We are working to completion, working on from then till now.

Pray, remember, that I leave you all my theory complete,
Lacking only certain data, for your adding, as is meet;
And remember, men will scorn it, 'tis original and true,
And the obloquy of newness may fall bitterly on you.

But, my pupil, as my pupil you have learnt the worth of scorn;
You have laughed with me at pity, we have joyed to be forlorn;
What, for us, are all distractions of men's fellowship and smiles?
What, for us, the goddess Pleasure, with her meretricious wiles?

You may tell that German college that their honour comes too late.
But they must not waste repentance on the grizzly savant's fate;
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

What, my boy, you are not weeping? You should save your eyes for sight;
You will need them, mine observer, yet for many another night.
I leave none but you, my pupil, unto whom my plans are known.
You "have none but me," you murmur, and I "leave you quite alone"?

Well then, kiss me,—since my mother left her blessing on my brow,
There has been a something wanting in my nature until now;
I can dimly comprehend it,—that I might have been more kind,
Might have cherished you more wisely, as the one I leave behind.

I "have never failed in kindness"? No, we lived too high for strife,—
Calmest coldness was the error which has crept into our life;
But your spirit is untainted, I can dedicate you still
To the service of our science: you will further it? you will!

There are certain calculations I should like to make with you,
To be sure that your deductions will be logical and true;
And remember, "Patience, Patience," is the watchword of a sage,
Not to-day nor yet to-morrow can complete a perfect age.

I have sown, like Tycho Brahé, that a greater man may reap;
But if none should do my reaping, 'twill disturb me in my sleep.
So be careful and be faithful, though, like me, you leave no name;
See, my boy, that nothing turn you to the mere pursuit of fame.

I must say Good-bye, my pupil, for I cannot longer speak;
Draw the curtain back for Venus, ere my vision grows too weak:
It is strange the pearly planet should look red as fiery Mars,—
God will mercifully guide me on my way amongst the stars.
Last edited by johnnydeep on Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18406
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:23 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:04 pm "Quoth the ChatBot, Evermore!"

Quite a few aspiring poet astronomers here, I see. And I don't hate ChatGPT''s creation as much as others seem to. In fact, I rather like it. But it's clearly mostly based on the descriptive text of the "" link, and that makes it less impressive on second glance.
To me that makes it more impressive. The task was to re-write the caption in the style of Poe. Not to create new content, not to create any new poetic style, not to re-interpret the caption. I'd wager it did a better job than 99% of humans could!
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 3039
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:38 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:23 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:04 pm "Quoth the ChatBot, Evermore!"

Quite a few aspiring poet astronomers here, I see. And I don't hate ChatGPT''s creation as much as others seem to. In fact, I rather like it. But it's clearly mostly based on the descriptive text of the "upon this snapshot" link, and that makes it less impressive on second glance.
To me that makes it more impressive. The task was to re-write the caption in the style of Poe. Not to create new content, not to create any new poetic style, not to re-interpret the caption. I'd wager it did a better job than 99% of humans could!
[ Note: I see I omitted the text of link I meant to include, so I fixed it in my original post, and also in my reply to your reply above. ]

So how do we know the task was to be based only on interpreting the linked APOD's text in a Poe style? Perhaps it's obvious to all but me.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18406
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:49 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:38 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:23 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:04 pm "Quoth the ChatBot, Evermore!"

Quite a few aspiring poet astronomers here, I see. And I don't hate ChatGPT''s creation as much as others seem to. In fact, I rather like it. But it's clearly mostly based on the descriptive text of the "upon this snapshot" link, and that makes it less impressive on second glance.
To me that makes it more impressive. The task was to re-write the caption in the style of Poe. Not to create new content, not to create any new poetic style, not to re-interpret the caption. I'd wager it did a better job than 99% of humans could!
[ Note: I see I omitted the text of link I meant to include, so I fixed it in my original post, and also in my reply to your reply above. ]

So how do we know the task was to be based only on interpreting the linked APOD's text in a Poe style? Perhaps it's obvious to all but me.
Well, I'm assuming that was the task, as it was explicitly the task described in the case of the skyglow APOD rewrites.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 3039
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:54 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:49 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:38 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:23 pm

To me that makes it more impressive. The task was to re-write the caption in the style of Poe. Not to create new content, not to create any new poetic style, not to re-interpret the caption. I'd wager it did a better job than 99% of humans could!
[ Note: I see I omitted the text of link I meant to include, so I fixed it in my original post, and also in my reply to your reply above. ]

So how do we know the task was to be based only on interpreting the linked APOD's text in a Poe style? Perhaps it's obvious to all but me.
Well, I'm assuming that was the task, as it was explicitly the task described in the case of the skyglow APOD rewrites.
Ok, I am unaware of that task.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18406
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:00 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:54 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:49 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:38 pm

[ Note: I see I omitted the text of link I meant to include, so I fixed it in my original post, and also in my reply to your reply above. ]

So how do we know the task was to be based only on interpreting the linked APOD's text in a Poe style? Perhaps it's obvious to all but me.
Well, I'm assuming that was the task, as it was explicitly the task described in the case of the skyglow APOD rewrites.
Ok, I am unaware of that task.
viewtopic.php?t=42941
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 3039
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:00 pm

Two more "cosmic" poems/fragments...
https://vertighoul.tumblr.com/post/1569313266/why-should-i-fret-in-microcosmic-bonds-that-chafe wrote:
Why should I fret in microcosmic bonds
That chafe the spirit, and the mind repress,
When through the clouds beam beckoning beyonds
Whose shining vistas mock man’s littleness?

-- H. P. Lovecraft
http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/poetry/572/ wrote: The Hashish Eater -or- the Apocalypse of Evil
-- Clark Ashton Smith

Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-colored sun
Of secret worlds incredible, and take
Their trailing skies for vestment when I soar,
Throned on the mounting zenith, and illume
The spaceward-flown horizons infinite.
Like rampant monsters roaring for their glut,
The fiery-crested oceans rise and rise,
By jealous moons maleficently urged

...
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 3039
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:01 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:00 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:54 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:49 pm

Well, I'm assuming that was the task, as it was explicitly the task described in the case of the skyglow APOD rewrites.
Ok, I am unaware of that task.
viewtopic.php?t=42941
Cool - thanks!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 8200
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:11 pm

ABELL1060_LRGB_NASA_1024.jpg
Abell1060, A beautiful photo; well done! I like it! 8-)
Nice poettry everyone!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!