Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18260
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Account reactivation and failure to receive email notifications

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon May 08, 2023 2:28 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:05 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:40 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:24 pm

Yup - I was able to log in. Thanks! I really liked getting the emails as opposed to having to rely on the notifications. Somehow, those aren't as clear to me, and it seems to keep notifying me of the same updates even after I "mark all as read". The email notifications were working as of mid February. It would be really nice to have that working again. Until that time, I'll have to make do. As for my inability to contact an administrator, it would also be good to have the "Contact An Administrator" form NOT be disabled!
Email notifications are still working just fine. Not sure why you're having a problem, but it isn't system wide.
Hmm. I have a gmail address and it hasn't changed for all my time here at Asterisk. I don't fine the notification emails in the Junk, Spam or Trash folders either. I wonder what's happening to them. There was one time a year ago when I accidentally flagged them as Spam, but that does not seem to have happened this time. Are they still being sent by concam@mtu.edu?
Yes. Here's the one I receive in response to your post that I'm replying to here.
_
Screenshot 2023-05-08 082628.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 2923
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: Account reactivation and failure to receive email notifications

Post by johnnydeep » Mon May 08, 2023 2:46 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:28 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:05 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:40 pm
Email notifications are still working just fine. Not sure why you're having a problem, but it isn't system wide.
Hmm. I have a gmail address and it hasn't changed for all my time here at Asterisk. I don't fine the notification emails in the Junk, Spam or Trash folders either. I wonder what's happening to them. There was one time a year ago when I accidentally flagged them as Spam, but that does not seem to have happened this time. Are they still being sent by concam@mtu.edu?
Yes. Here's the one I receive in response to your post that I'm replying to here.
_
Screenshot 2023-05-08 082628.png
That seems to be essentially what I had been seeing up to some time after Feb 26. Here's the latest one I have:

apod asterisk email.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18260
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Account reactivation and failure to receive email notifications

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon May 08, 2023 3:00 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:46 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:28 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:05 pm

Hmm. I have a gmail address and it hasn't changed for all my time here at Asterisk. I don't fine the notification emails in the Junk, Spam or Trash folders either. I wonder what's happening to them. There was one time a year ago when I accidentally flagged them as Spam, but that does not seem to have happened this time. Are they still being sent by concam@mtu.edu?
Yes. Here's the one I receive in response to your post that I'm replying to here.
_
Screenshot 2023-05-08 082628.png
That seems to be essentially what I had been seeing up to some time after Feb 26. Here's the latest one I have:


apod asterisk email.png
Are you sure you're subscribed to the topic(s) you're following? I've accidentally clicked that bottom link before and had to go back to the forum and refollow topics.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 2923
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: Account reactivation and failure to receive email notifications

Post by johnnydeep » Mon May 08, 2023 3:26 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:00 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:46 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:28 pm

Yes. Here's the one I receive in response to your post that I'm replying to here.
_
Screenshot 2023-05-08 082628.png
That seems to be essentially what I had been seeing up to some time after Feb 26. Here's the latest one I have:


apod asterisk email.png
Are you sure you're subscribed to the topic(s) you're following? I've accidentally clicked that bottom link before and had to go back to the forum and refollow topics.
Yes. I still have to manually subscribe to topics that I haven't posted to yet, but I still get notifications for those, and SHOULD be getting emails too based on my maxed out profile settings (which I only did after not getting emails for a while):

apod asterisk notificatio settings.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18260
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Account reactivation and failure to receive email notifications

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon May 08, 2023 4:30 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:26 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:00 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:46 pm

That seems to be essentially what I had been seeing up to some time after Feb 26. Here's the latest one I have:


apod asterisk email.png
Are you sure you're subscribed to the topic(s) you're following? I've accidentally clicked that bottom link before and had to go back to the forum and refollow topics.
Yes. I still have to manually subscribe to topics that I haven't posted to yet, but I still get notifications for those, and SHOULD be getting emails too based on my maxed out profile settings (which I only did after not getting emails for a while):


apod asterisk notificatio settings.png
You also need to make sure that you're actually subscribed to the topics you're expecting notifications from. That's a different setting.
_
Screenshot 2023-05-08 102914.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 2923
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: Account reactivation and failure to receive email notifications

Post by johnnydeep » Mon May 08, 2023 8:08 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:30 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:26 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:00 pm

Are you sure you're subscribed to the topic(s) you're following? I've accidentally clicked that bottom link before and had to go back to the forum and refollow topics.
Yes. I still have to manually subscribe to topics that I haven't posted to yet, but I still get notifications for those, and SHOULD be getting emails too based on my maxed out profile settings (which I only did after not getting emails for a while):


apod asterisk notificatio settings.png
You also need to make sure that you're actually subscribed to the topics you're expecting notifications from. That's a different setting.
_
Screenshot 2023-05-08 102914.png
Indeed I am (but I was - and still am - getting automatically subscribed simply by posting something, which eliminates having to explicitely subscribe to every single topic):

apod asterisk watched topics.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

hatakerandy
Asternaut
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 16, 2023 8:51 am

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by hatakerandy » Wed May 17, 2023 9:44 am

I am not getting any bugs.

Hello, Sorry to comment here, but hey Captain johnnydeep, can you send me the link of your profile pic? It's astonishing.



Edit: hey, and you too, Abominable Snowman! Chris Peterson ^^

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 2923
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by johnnydeep » Wed May 17, 2023 3:47 pm

hatakerandy wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:44 am I am not getting any bugs.

Hello, Sorry to comment here, but hey Captain johnnydeep, can you send me the link of your profile pic? It's astonishing.

Edit: hey, and you too, Abominable Snowman! Chris Peterson ^^
Hi - my avatar is a smaller size version of the Centaurus A galaxy, and was taken from the Wikipedia article about it. See https://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaurus_A. The image itself is a composite of images from three different telescopes in three different wavelengths:


There have been several APODs featuring this galaxy over the years, as it is indeed an awesome looking galaxy! Here's one from only two weeks ago presenting a different - but equally incredible! - image: https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap230503.html

Chris' avatar image seems to be very close to this one:


Which was taken from the thumbnail on this video:

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

hatakerandy
Asternaut
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 16, 2023 8:51 am

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by hatakerandy » Sat May 20, 2023 8:51 am

Thank you so much :)
Centaurus A looks so beautiful.

gcal

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by gcal » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:08 pm

Please help me log in, or reset my password, or reactivate, or re-register. When I try to log in, I get:
You have specified an incorrect username. Please check your username and try again. If you continue to have problems please contact the Board Administrator.
The link to contact the Board Administrator says it is discontinued.

If I go thru the Forgot Password process, it says it sent an email, but I never get one. Yes, I checked the spam folder

If I try to register again, it says the email is already in use. So my account exists, but I can't get to it.

I have tried usernames "gcal" and "gcal9179", both of which I use on various systems.

Thanks, I appreciate any help!

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 21579
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by bystander » Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:22 pm

gcal wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:08 pm Please help me log in, or reset my password, or reactivate, or re-register. When I try to log in, I get:
You have specified an incorrect username. Please check your username and try again. If you continue to have problems please contact the Board Administrator.
The link to contact the Board Administrator says it is discontinued.

If I go thru the Forgot Password process, it says it sent an email, but I never get one. Yes, I checked the spam folder

If I try to register again, it says the email is already in use. So my account exists, but I can't get to it.

I have tried usernames "gcal" and "gcal9179", both of which I use on various systems.

Thanks, I appreciate any help!
I find no gcal... member name listed.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

smitadesai
Asternaut
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by smitadesai » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:51 pm

APOD - A Day Ahead???

For the last few days, I noticed that the link https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap.html takes me to the APOD for tomorrow - June 5, 2023. But today is June 4, 2023.
I click on Previous icon - < - at the bottom of the page then I see today's APOD.

Please help. I start my day with APOD and would prefer to keep in suspense what comes tomorrow.

Thanks.

gcal

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by gcal » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:23 pm

bystander wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:22 pm <snip>
I find no gcal... member name listed.
@bystander Thanks for checking. When I tried to re-register, it said my email address was already in use. Do you have a way to search by email address?

Also, is there a way to direct message? I prefer not to post my email address; that's just an invitation to spam.

User avatar
Rauf
Science Officer
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by Rauf » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:53 pm

smitadesai wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:51 pm APOD - A Day Ahead???

For the last few days, I noticed that the link https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap.html takes me to the APOD for tomorrow - June 5, 2023. But today is June 4, 2023.
I click on Previous icon - < - at the bottom of the page then I see today's APOD.

Please help. I start my day with APOD and would prefer to keep in suspense what comes tomorrow.

Thanks.
That's interesting, Does it always do that or is it just today?

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 21579
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by bystander » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:35 am

gcal wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:23 pm
@bystander Thanks for checking. When I tried to re-register, it said my email address was already in use. Do you have a way to search by email address?

Also, is there a way to direct message? I prefer not to post my email address; that's just an invitation to spam.
Yes, I can search for an email address, if I knew it. You have to be a member to send messages.

Do you facebook? Send a message to the facebook page Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) .
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

spacevolve
Asternaut
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:17 pm

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by spacevolve » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:28 pm

Hi,

The API is broken since the 4th of June. It times out after 1 minute returning a 504 Gateway Time-out error?

You can confirm this by following this demo link: https://api.nasa.gov/planetary/apod?api_key=DEMO_KEY

Maybe in fixing a bug someone inadvertently broke the working code that outputs the API data.

Very important to test all functionality after making any major change to a codebase.

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 2923
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:43 pm

spacevolve wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:28 pm Hi,

The API is broken since the 4th of June. It times out after 1 minute returning a 504 Gateway Time-out error?

You can confirm this by following this demo link: https://api.nasa.gov/planetary/apod?api_key=DEMO_KEY

Maybe in fixing a bug someone inadvertently broke the working code that outputs the API data.

Very important to test all functionality after making any major change to a codebase.
Hmm. Well, I can confirm the gateway timeout error upon clicking that link. But what does this mean? What is it affecting? The APOD site seems to be working ok from what I can see.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

spacevolve
Asternaut
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:17 pm

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by spacevolve » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:12 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:43 pm
spacevolve wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:28 pm Hi,

The API is broken since the 4th of June. It times out after 1 minute returning a 504 Gateway Time-out error?

You can confirm this by following this demo link: https://api.nasa.gov/planetary/apod?api_key=DEMO_KEY

Maybe in fixing a bug someone inadvertently broke the working code that outputs the API data.

Very important to test all functionality after making any major change to a codebase.
Hmm. Well, I can confirm the gateway timeout error upon clicking that link. But what does this mean? What is it affecting? The APOD site seems to be working ok from what I can see.
The API is by definition broken if it's not giving back the data. Many websites and apps depend on this API.

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 2923
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:55 pm

spacevolve wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:12 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:43 pm
spacevolve wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:28 pm Hi,

The API is broken since the 4th of June. It times out after 1 minute returning a 504 Gateway Time-out error?

You can confirm this by following this demo link: https://api.nasa.gov/planetary/apod?api_key=DEMO_KEY

Maybe in fixing a bug someone inadvertently broke the working code that outputs the API data.

Very important to test all functionality after making any major change to a codebase.
Hmm. Well, I can confirm the gateway timeout error upon clicking that link. But what does this mean? What is it affecting? The APOD site seems to be working ok from what I can see.
The API is by definition broken if it's not giving back the data. Many websites and apps depend on this API.
Ok, news to me! I didn't know there WAS an API, and STILL don't know what people use it for.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

spacevolve
Asternaut
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:17 pm

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by spacevolve » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:34 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:55 pm
spacevolve wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:12 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:43 pm

Hmm. Well, I can confirm the gateway timeout error upon clicking that link. But what does this mean? What is it affecting? The APOD site seems to be working ok from what I can see.
The API is by definition broken if it's not giving back the data. Many websites and apps depend on this API.
Ok, news to me! I didn't know there WAS an API, and STILL don't know what people use it for.
It is now fixed. Thank you.

User avatar
Rauf
Science Officer
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by Rauf » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:46 pm

Hello everyone!

I want to see what APOD is about on 2007 May 22. But unfortunately it requires flash player and Chrome doesn't support it anymore.
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap070522.html

Does anyone know a solution? I tried ctrl+U to see the page's source. I tried to find a flash file to download but I didn't have any success. It's important to me to find out what is that APOD since I am making a full APOD archive. I will be really grateful if someone can help me.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18260
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:33 pm

Rauf wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:46 pm Hello everyone!

I want to see what APOD is about on 2007 May 22. But unfortunately it requires flash player and Chrome doesn't support it anymore.
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap070522.html

Does anyone know a solution? I tried ctrl+U to see the page's source. I tried to find a flash file to download but I didn't have any success. It's important to me to find out what is that APOD since I am making a full APOD archive. I will be really grateful if someone can help me.
There are Flash player emulators. Running Flash isn't the problem. The problem (looking at the page source) is that the content isn't locally hosted, but is on an external server that is no longer present. So there's no way you can play this content unless you want to try and contact the actual authors to see if they have it, or have it in a different format.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
Rauf
Science Officer
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by Rauf » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:50 am

Chris Peterson wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:33 pm
Rauf wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:46 pm Hello everyone!

I want to see what APOD is about on 2007 May 22. But unfortunately it requires flash player and Chrome doesn't support it anymore.
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap070522.html

Does anyone know a solution? I tried ctrl+U to see the page's source. I tried to find a flash file to download but I didn't have any success. It's important to me to find out what is that APOD since I am making a full APOD archive. I will be really grateful if someone can help me.
There are Flash player emulators. Running Flash isn't the problem. The problem (looking at the page source) is that the content isn't locally hosted, but is on an external server that is no longer present. So there's no way you can play this content unless you want to try and contact the actual authors to see if they have it, or have it in a different format.
That's a bit of a long shot. I don't think I'll get to see what that content is in this way.
Thanks for your help!

ThetaMind

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by ThetaMind » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:33 pm

Hello, is anybody out there? ;P

Is registration disabled?
I tried register with two different(two different mail providers) e-mails but still nothing, not even in spam.

And also, I posted in the wrong thread at first :oops: :ohno:

Help?

JessicaRojas

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by JessicaRojas » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:33 am

Same problem than ThetaMind here!!

I can't register either (well, I can't login). I tried with different emails but never arrives the activation part so I can't login . Maybe am I banned or something? (My IP)
I think I posted in the wrong thread or maybe a video with wrong format, sorry, I don't know if this information is relevant for register :oops:

I don't know how to write to the Administration team! I don't find the "Contact form" part :(

Any help is welcome, thank you in advance :ssmile: