Kalamalka Lake Eclipse

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Vermontguy
Asternaut

Kalamalka Lake Eclipse

Post by Vermontguy » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:56 pm

Great photo. However, how could one look southwest down Kalamalka Lake toward the lights of Coldstream? Isn't the community Oyama?

Axel
Ensign

Eclipse, great aurora site (Kalamalka Lake)(APOD 01 Sep 07)

Post by Axel » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:31 pm

That is a splendid time-lapse image of the lunar eclipse. If the shots were really taken at 4-minute intervals, the picture can give students an idea of what a degree looks like in the sky. But the great discovery, for me, was Yuichi Takasaka's website (just click on his name under the APOD pic). The man is an aurora freak. Apparently he only learned about aurora in 1990, when he saw strange lights in the sky during a photo shoot and asked someone what they were. Since then he has been shooting them everywhere in western Canada - and taking some glorious landscape photos on the way. Thanks, APOD!

Case
Commander

Re: Kalamalka Lake Eclipse

Post by Case » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:15 pm

Vermontguy wrote:Great photo. However, how could one look southwest down Kalamalka Lake toward the lights of Coldstream? Isn't the community Oyama?
There are buildings (houses?) and streets all around the north top of Kalamalka Lake. If the photo was taken from the north shore (Coldstream), looking south-west, then the lights on the right would still be be Coldstream. I think I could match the picture view in Google Earth's perspective view: the hills appear at matching locations.

rnmerchant
Asternaut

Post by rnmerchant » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:22 pm

You are quite correct. The photo is taken from the public beach at the north end of Kalamalka Lake, looking south-west'ish towards Oyama in the far distance, with houses on the right in the "Kalview" subdivision of Coldstream.

You can't generally see much of Oyama - I'm not sure if the lights are so bright because of the overlaying of multiple images or if they are car lights or what.

Richard