NASA'S shoot down of satellite 21 February 2008

The cosmos at our fingertips.
marion ballantyne
Ensign

NASA'S shoot down of satellite 21 February 2008

Post by marion ballantyne » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:12 am

Just watched the video, it was a wonderful site, THANKS America.

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:08 pm

Please post a link to the video.
Tic Toc

Doum
A personalized rank.

Post by Doum » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:53 pm

Now if aliens come to earth, it will be better for them to behave. :roll:

Arramon
Science Officer

Post by Arramon » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:36 pm

Video:
http://gizmodo.com/359031/video-of-spy- ... -shot-down

and the comments are funnier than sh*t...

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:12 pm

• Thomas Bulfinch : Hero Myths of the British Race : Robin Hood

<<One of the best-known stories of [Robin Hood] is that given by Sir Walter Scott in “Ivanhoe,” concerning the archery contest during the rule of misrule of Prince John, in the absence of Richard from the kingdom. Robin Hood, under the assumed name of Locksley, boldly presents himself at a royal tournament at Ashby, as competitor for the prize in shooting with the long-bow. From the eight or ten archers who enter the contest, the number finally narrows down to two,—Hubert, a forester in the service of one of the king’s nobles, and Locksley or Robin Hood. Hubert takes the first shot in the final trial of skill, and lands his arrow within the inner ring of the target, but not exactly in the centre.

“‘You have not allowed for the wind, Hubert,’ said Locksley, ‘or that had been a better shot.’

“So saying, and without showing the least anxiety to pause upon his aim, Locksley stepped to the appointed station, and shot his arrow as carelessly in appearance as if he had not even looked at the mark. He was speaking almost at the instant that the shaft left the bow-string, yet it alighted in the target two inches nearer to the white spot which marked the centre than that of Hubert.

“‘By the light of Heaven!’ said Prince John to Hubert, ‘an thou suffer that runagate knave to overcome thee, thou art worthy of the gallows!’

“Hubert had but one set speech for all occasions. ‘An your highness were to hang me,’ he said, ‘a man can but do his best. Nevertheless, my grandsire drew a good bow——’

“‘The foul fiend on thy grandsire and all his generation!’ interrupted John; ‘shoot, knave, and shoot thy best, or it shall be worse for thee!’

“Thus exhorted, Hubert resumed his place, and not neglecting the caution which he had received from his adversary, he made the necessary allowance for a very light air of wind, which had just risen, and shot so successfully that his arrow alighted in the very centre of the target.

“‘A Hubert! a Hubert!’ shouted the populace, more interested in a known person than in a stranger. ‘In the clout!—in the clout!—a Hubert forever!’

“‘Thou canst not mend that shot, Locksley,’ said the Prince, with an insulting smile.

“‘I will notch his shaft for him, however,’ replied Locksley.

“And letting fly his arrow with a little more precaution than before, it lighted right upon that of his competitor, which it split to shivers. The people who stood around were so astonished at his wonderful dexterity, that they could not even give vent to their surprise in their usual clamor. ‘This must be the devil, and no man of flesh and blood,’ whispered the yeomen to each other; ‘such archery was never seen since a bow was first bent in Britain.’>>
Art Neuendorffer

Arramon
Science Officer

Post by Arramon » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:29 am

I loved finding Robin Hood in the forests when playing Defender of the Crown so long ago on my C-64. That game ruled.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:40 pm

Arramon, you must be positively ancient to admit owning a Commodore 64 computer. :lol: Oops, I just admitted I knew what one was. :oops:
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:44 pm

I still have mine in a box somewhere. I believe it is with my ATARI PONG game