Does anyone know how to waterproof a lens?

The cosmos at our fingertips.
RJN
Baffled Boffin

Does anyone know how to waterproof a lens?

Post by RJN » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:40 pm

The current CONCAM3 use a Sigma 8mm f/4 fisheye lens. Recently, however, I stumbled onto a better lens that has the same size image circle but greater throughput. Nikon now makes a CCD lens called "AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G E". This costs under $1K and appears similar in throughput and clarity to a $10K Coastal Optics lens. So we bought one and Lior tested it and it indeed has the throughput that it says, and outperforms all other lenses that CONCAM has used and one other one that I was thinking of using (not a Coastal). The problem is that this new fisheye lens is not waterproof. Not at all. We have opened it up and it is REALLY not waterproof, unlike the CONCAM2 and CONCAM3 lenses that are mostly waterproof by accident.

Does anyone have any good ideas for waterproofing a lens?

- RJN

Emoticon Fury
Ensign

Post by Emoticon Fury » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:49 pm

You guys may want to look at a "tropicalized" Canon EF "L" series lenses I know some of them are specifically designed to hold up in some really adverse conditions. I dont think they have a tropicalized fisheye but you could probably find out where they placed "O" rings and such to keep moisture out.