A Specter In The Eastern Veil (APOD 2008 Nov 01)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

A Specter In The Eastern Veil (APOD 2008 Nov 01)

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:55 pm

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap081101.html

An Awesome view! 8) With all the hydrogen and oxygen in this nebula; could there be a large amount of ice being formed there? Or having been formed there when things were hotter?

Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: A Specter In The Eastern Veil APOD 2008 Nov 1

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:09 pm

orin stepanek wrote:An Awesome view! 8) With all the hydrogen and oxygen in this nebula; could there be a large amount of ice being formed there? Or having been formed there when things were hotter?
Ice in bulk tends to not be very stable in an environment like that. I expect that any ice which survived the parent supernova was sublimated away in short order as surfaces were bombarded by high energy particles.

While there is a lot of H and O in an absolute sense, the density is still very low. The brightest parts of that nebula would qualify as a hard vacuum by most definitions. So I expect the sort of chemistry that takes place is unusual. No doubt, water molecules must be created and destroyed, but I don't know whether the creation rate or the dissociation rate is higher. Water is often seen (spectroscopically) in nebulas, but I don't know if it has been detected in this one.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:03 pm

Thanks Chris! Just out of curiosity what would it take? Perhaps a star forming in the region? Do the hydrogen and oxygen atoms just float around at random until some catalytic event happens? :? I'm sure the conditions would have to be just right + I imagine the concentration levels would also have to be up. :?

Orin
Orin

Wadsworth
Science Officer

Post by Wadsworth » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:38 pm

As in, what is the level of pressure necessary to keep water molecules together..? Here is a nice little presentation on vapor pressure.

Put some water in a vacuum and it 'boils' (dissosiates) into individual atoms.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:09 pm

orin stepanek wrote:Thanks Chris! Just out of curiosity what would it take? Perhaps a star forming in the region? Do the hydrogen and oxygen atoms just float around at random until some catalytic event happens? :? I'm sure the conditions would have to be just right + I imagine the concentration levels would also have to be up. :?
Since this is a supernova remnant, the material is getting less dense. Probably not the sort of conditions where bulk material forms at all, and anything volatile will evaporate, if it hasn't already. Note that water molecules are not volatile, and there is no reason that they won't form as the result of collisional processes in a region containing both H and O. But they can be dissociated back into H and O when they absorb a high energy particle.

In order for bulk material to form (including ice) I'd expect you'd need a gravitationally dense region, such as a developing star system, where material densities are high enough that you get actual clumping.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:22 pm

Wadsworth wrote:As in, what is the level of pressure necessary to keep water molecules together..?
Water molecules are stable in a perfect vacuum. The molecules won't come apart until you reach near ionizing temperatures.
Put some water in a vacuum and it 'boils' (dissosiates) into individual atoms.
Close. If you put bulk water into a vacuum (depending on temperature) it evaporates or sublimates into individual water molecules. These molecules do not dissociate into their constituent atoms in the absence of an external energy source that can break the atomic bonds.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: A Specter In The Eastern Veil (APOD 2008 Nov 01)

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:57 pm

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap081101.html

Is it me or do the hydrogen and oxygen bands appear to be electrical in nature? It may be just an illusion; but it looks very similar to lightning. While I don't believe an electrical charge could be or last that long; the appearance is very intriguing. 8)

Orin
Orin

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:12 pm

orin stepanek wrote:Is it me or do the hydrogen and oxygen bands appear to be electrical in nature? It may be just an illusion; but it looks very similar to lightning.
I don't see that. It looks like shock fronts in gas to me- lacking the fractal appearance of lightning.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

starnut
Science Officer

Post by starnut » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:28 am

orin stepanek wrote:http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap081101.html

Is it me or do the hydrogen and oxygen bands appear to be electrical in nature? It may be just an illusion; but it looks very similar to lightning. While I don't believe an electrical charge could be or last that long; the appearance is very intriguing. 8)

Orin
Would a lightning or any electrical discharge be visible in the vacuum/near-vacuum of space? Across several light years between start and end points? I would doubt it.

Gary
Fight ignorance!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:27 am

starnut wrote:Would a lightning or any electrical discharge be visible in the vacuum/near-vacuum of space? Across several light years between start and end points? I would doubt it.
No, certainly not. And if the medium was dense enough to support them, we'd see an entirely different sort of spectrum. I'm sure Orin was just commenting on the visual effect, not suggesting this was any sort of electrical discharge.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:00 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
starnut wrote:Would a lightning or any electrical discharge be visible in the vacuum/near-vacuum of space? Across several light years between start and end points? I would doubt it.
No, certainly not. And if the medium was dense enough to support them, we'd see an entirely different sort of spectrum. I'm sure Orin was just commenting on the visual effect, not suggesting this was any sort of electrical discharge.
True Chris: BTW, I think the visual effect is Awesome. The greens and reds given off by the hydrogen and oxygen make a spectacular showing. :shock: 8) :mrgreen: Orin
Orin