A poser

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Spaceman
Asternaut

A poser

Post by Spaceman » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:46 pm

I have wondered for a long time, were exactly are the stars and galaxies today? All the views I have seen are at light-year distances. I realize that the closer stars have moved only slightly in the 50 years I have been on this planet, but what about stars across the milky way? It's 100,000 light years across. In the 100,000 years it's taken the light from those stars to rach us, they must have moved considerably. The same for even more distant galaxies. Am I making any sense? ':?'

Spaceman
Asternaut

found answer

Post by Spaceman » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:13 pm

Found the answer printed by Dr. Sten Odenwald:
Is it difficult to know what is happening now if all of our information is about the past ?
Yes. because light takes a finite time to travel from place to place, we never see things the way they are, but always the way they were some time ago. Astronomers hardly ever worry about what the universe looks like at this instant because this requires information we can never obtain. We can only deduce the current picture from our models. I know of no astronomical investigation that worries about what a distant galaxy we see a billion light years away, looks like today. There is no particular, question we can pose that would require this knowledge. In our solar system, where light travel times are no longer that an hour or two, we can be properly worried about what planets and asteroids are doing RIGHT NOW, because this could have some impact ( sorry) on the Earth in the near future. For this we use the predicted orbits of the bodies and make forecasts.
Thankyou Dr. Odenwald and sorry for posting this question in the APOD forum...(':oops:')

capt.yesterday
Asternaut

Post by capt.yesterday » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:15 pm

i want to know why nothing can travel faster than the speed of light? are we as scientist admitting that we don't have a theory or equation that can explain a faster speed? or are we putting limits on the Creator in which to say this is the fastest thing created? Who are we to be so bold? Let's here the human response.

Phil G
Ensign

Post by Phil G » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:41 pm

capt.yesterday wrote:i want to know why nothing can travel faster than the speed of light?
My unscientific guess would be that no scientific measurement of anything else has been found to exceed that speed. Perhaps the problem lies in the way the "fact" is stated.

GOD
Ensign

Light speed

Post by GOD » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:08 am

Phil G wrote:
capt.yesterday wrote:i want to know why nothing can travel faster than the speed of light?
My unscientific guess would be that no scientific measurement of anything else has been found to exceed that speed. Perhaps the problem lies in the way the "fact" is stated.
Phil: I like the way you think, keep it up! :)

There are only four constants in the universe, and light speed isn't one of them. Light speed is not the unsurpassable constant human beings currently think it is. Light in fact can be slowed or speeded up depending on the medium through which it passes; just as everything else can (example using the stimulated brillouin scattering technique: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 081905.php ). Space is not as empty as it visually appears to be, as discoveries of dark matter are finding. Over the next several centuries, human beings will discover that light travels 17 times faster when it's in a higher vibratory state.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:36 am

As only a child could express it. :wink:
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

GOD
Ensign

Post by GOD » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:33 am

craterchains wrote:As only a child could express it. :wink:
Crater: No -- a child follows you around everywhere rolling his eyes.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:41 pm

That is what experiment suggests. In relativity, that is starting point, and they prove things out of it, not other way around.

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:18 pm

GOD wrote:There are only four constants in the universe, and light speed isn't one of them. Light speed is not the unsurpassable constant human beings currently think it is. Light in fact can be slowed or speeded up depending on the medium through which it passes; just as everything else can (example using the stimulated brillouin scattering technique: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 081905.php ). Space is not as empty as it visually appears to be, as discoveries of dark matter are finding. Over the next several centuries, human beings will discover that light travels 17 times faster when it's in a higher vibratory state.
The speed of light in a vacuum is indeed a constant. The fact that light, traveling from point A to point B through medium X, requires more time than c (as in E = m*c²) in a vacuum is due to the time required for absorption and reemission of photons by the particular molecules of that medium X. Light still travels at c between the molecules of medium X.

I don't know what you mean by "higher vibratory state."

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:29 pm

The only thing I can think of is: as you heat a molecule it vibrates faster and as you cool it, it vibrates slower. Or possibly Vibrating Strings (string theory) creating resonance waves

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:42 am

BMAONE23 wrote: 1. The only thing I can think of is: as you heat a molecule it vibrates faster and as you cool it, it vibrates slower.

2. Or possibly Vibrating Strings (string theory) creating resonance waves
1. From the context of the sentence, I think the member "GOD" was referring to some behavior of light itself. Otherwise he/she would have to have been talking about a previously mentioned medium, and in this case, instead of fancy descriptions of increasing vibration levels, he/she could have just said "hotter." 8)

2. I don't know a lot about string theory, just the conceptual basics...I've read about it and I do think it is an intriguing idea. I read Brain Greene's book, Elegant Universe (a very well-written book, an enjoyable read in and of itself).

String theory has some very interesting concepts. But here are my laymen observations: it bothers me that the sizes of strings are so small they can't be verified experimentally. Also, it occurred to me that just because a structure may exist or be suggested in mathematics (such as the Calabi-Yau shape) doesn't mean it necessarily exists in reality or can be used to describe actual behavior or structure in the universe. Unless I have missed something here? Nereid, makc, anyone?

But I digress! BMONE23, the "higher vibratory state" of light sounds very "Omni Magazine" to me...but I was trying to give the author of the post due chance to properly explain.

GOD
Ensign

Post by GOD » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:26 am

Orca wrote:
GOD wrote:There are only four constants in the universe, and light speed isn't one of them. Light speed is not the unsurpassable constant human beings currently think it is. Light in fact can be slowed or speeded up depending on the medium through which it passes; just as everything else can (example using the stimulated brillouin scattering technique: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 081905.php ). Space is not as empty as it visually appears to be, as discoveries of dark matter are finding. Over the next several centuries, human beings will discover that light travels 17 times faster when it's in a higher vibratory state.
The speed of light in a vacuum is indeed a constant. The fact that light, traveling from point A to point B through medium X, requires more time than c (as in E = m*c²) in a vacuum is due to the time required for absorption and reemission of photons by the particular molecules of that medium X. Light still travels at c between the molecules of medium X.

I don't know what you mean by "higher vibratory state."
There are many pieces of the cosmic puzzle yet to be discovered.

One is that there is no such thing as a vacuum. As I was saying, space is filled with elemental particles that don't move, clump, form mass, or register as energy. Particles smaller than human beings can currently see and barely detect, that they've simply called dark matter. Regardless, conclusions about the speed that light travels through space in the vibratory state of matter that humans currently live in, holds more or less accurate in this part of the universe.

Another piece of the puzzle to be discovered over the coming century, is that energy, matter, and life, exists in higher vibratory frequencies currently unknown and invisible to humanity; somewhat analogous to all the differing radio station broadcasts existing at different radio frequencies. It isn't time for you to completely understand this yet -- only to put the idea in the minds of those interested in pursuing it.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:22 pm

:wink:
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:18 am

aaACHEW!...oh goodness excuse me, guess I'm allergic to bull$$**.
Tic Toc

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:57 pm

Wiki article for 'Meter' wrote:it is defined as 1⁄299,792,458 of a light-second
the bold is mine. the space and time are defined the way that c is constant. in fact, "c" was probably chosen because it is first letter in word "constant" in latin (and coincidentally english).

from here, you have two options:
  • either you want speed of light to not be constant? simply change the definition.
  • or you want all the theory developed since 1905 to work. then shut a hell up.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:28 pm

FieryIce wrote:aaACHEW!...oh goodness excuse me, guess I'm allergic to bull$$**.
Well, they do say that constant exposure to a particular allergen will cause one to become sensitized.

Sorry, presented with such an easy target, I couldn't resist. I'm sure others will appreciate the humor.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:59 pm

Thank you bystander, yes one does become sensitized with constant exposure and can spot bull$$** a mile away.

Makc, now now now, don’t ignore the research done that shows the speed of light can be varied, it’s not some fixed barrier.
Tic Toc

Doum
A personalized rank.

Post by Doum » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:11 am

It is a fix barrier untill prove otherwise i suppose. In window glass or in water (up to a certain level) or in interstellar medium cloud atoms in space or any transparent substance, the speed of light remain the same between 2 atoms. Wich is 300000km per sec. So if a photon encounter many molecule or atoms before exiting a material then it will appear to have travel slower then the speed of light but it wont be true. That is what it is for now. Saying you dont beleive it wont change the measurement made about it yet. So i'm eager to see new development about it. If there is any.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:44 am

since you keep repeating yourself, why cant I do that too?
makc wrote:you want speed of light to not be constant? simply change the definition.
why don't you get it to your head, you don't need any "research" to make it variable, but simply re-define concepts of space and time the way you want.

on the other hand, within currently accepted definition (that is, if YOU accept those), no amount of "research" will make speed of light variable. it is like trying to prove that 1 is not always 1 - meaningless.

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:47 pm

Too bad Doum and Makc, you get a 1, “meaningless”, you’re ignorant tactics just are not working anymore, may I suggest you try new source material…(snaps fingers) …that’s right you don’t have any new material. Too bad, so sad, sucks to be you.
Tic Toc

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:12 pm

Bottom line, simply stated, we are going to need to be able to go so fast to get to another galaxy in a short span of time that "light speed" would be ludicrously slow. 17 times the speed of light would be in the same category of slow. Now 17,000,000 times the speed of light would be a good start for inter galaxy travel.

:roll:

GOD
Ensign

Post by GOD » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:08 pm

FieryIce wrote:aaACHEW!...oh goodness excuse me, guess I'm allergic to bull$$**.
Fire: No, you're allergic to enlightenment.

GOD
Ensign

Post by GOD » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:17 pm

craterchains wrote:Bottom line, simply stated, we are going to need to be able to go so fast to get to another galaxy in a short span of time that "light speed" would be ludicrously slow. 17 times the speed of light would be in the same category of slow. Now 17,000,000 times the speed of light would be a good start for inter galaxy travel.

:roll:
Crater: Galactic travel isn't done physically in linear time. It requires awareness of the greater picture, of which human beings weren't designed for.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:10 pm

god, kiss my "donkey".

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:41 pm

FireyIce, you probably think you are special because you believe in something that millions of other people do not. You are probably happy to be not one of ignorant crowd, but one of the few who posess sacral knowledge of "new material",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the thing is noone can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped (I just cut a portion of this post and typed comas there, as our Harry does - I think it's "nuf said" already)