APOD: Mystic Mountain Dust Pillars (2015 Apr 15)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Mystic Mountain Dust Pillars (2015 Apr 15)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:05 am

Image Mystic Mountain Dust Pillars

Explanation: It's stars versus dust in the Carina Nebula and the stars are winning. More precisely, the energetic light and winds from massive newly formed stars are evaporating and dispersing the dusty stellar nurseries in which they formed. Located in the Carina Nebula and known informally as Mystic Mountain, these pillar's appearance is dominated by the dark dust even though it is composed mostly of clear hydrogen gas. Dust pillars such as these are actually much thinner than air and only appear as mountains due to relatively small amounts of opaque interstellar dust. About 7,500 light-years distant, the featured image was taken with the Hubble Space Telescope, digitally reprocessed by an industrious amateur, and highlights an interior region of Carina which spans about three light years. Within a few million years, the stars will likely win out completely and the entire dust mountain will be destroyed.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: Mystic Mountain Dust Pillars (2015 Apr 15)

Post by Boomer12k » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:15 am

I can see...MICKEY...at the top, directing things....(from Fantasia, The Sorcerer's Apprentice )...

This pic lacks some of the contrast of other pics, so look a bit dim....

:---[===] *

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:19 am

This is one of the classic Hubble telescope images, and in my opinion, it is more interesting than the better-known Pillars of Creation in M16. The dust formations in today's APOD look more dynamic to me. There is apparently a star forming at the very top of the tallest pillar, and its jets seem to be gyrating wildly like a water sprinkler.

Ann
Color Commentator

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:48 am

I prefer the original Hubble image but this reprocessing is also really nice! I wish I knew the name of the Herbig Haro outflow near the top of the image, I think the description should have mentioned this. The whole Eta Carinae Nebula is HUGE! You can see it in its entirety in this image by Marco Lorenzi.

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:20 am

"These pillar's appearance" is incorrect. Try "These pillars' appearance".

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:26 am

I wonder why David chose to reverse this image? East-West is now West-East, unless I'm looking at the panorama at http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090524.html incorrectly.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:36 am

starsurfer wrote:I prefer the original Hubble image but this reprocessing is also really nice! I wish I knew the name of the Herbig Haro outflow near the top of the image, I think the description should have mentioned this. The whole Eta Carinae Nebula is HUGE! You can see it in its entirety in this image by Marco Lorenzi.
HH 901 and 902.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Craine
Ensign

Post by Craine » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:17 pm

Any idea why the image was flipped left-right, compared to the one on the Hubble site? (as per Geckzilla's link)
Is it just for aesthetics, or is there a scientific reason for it?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:23 pm

Craine wrote:Any idea why the image was flipped left-right, compared to the one on the Hubble site? (as per Geckzilla's link)
Is it just for aesthetics, or is there a scientific reason for it?
It's how it comes from the telescope. If the person processing the data doesn't flip it, then it ends up like this. Almost everyone flips it. Some people don't. I don't know why. Maybe it's aesthetics. Maybe they don't know better. It bothers a lot of people that they don't flip it to standard orientation, though.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

kellogg
Ensign

Post by kellogg » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:17 pm

Good Morning,

It's been a long time since I've had an optics class.
Why are some of the stars flared by the lens but not all?

Scott Kellogg

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:23 pm

kellogg wrote:Why are some of the stars flared by the lens but not all?
I assume by "flare" you're referring to the diffraction spikes created by the spider assembly that supports the telescope's secondary mirror. They are present on all the stars, but since the spikes are several orders of magnitude dimmer than the stars that produce them, they are only visible (that is, above the noise floor) for a handful of very bright stars. If you took the original data and really stretched the contrast you'd see more of them (at the expense of saturating most of the image). All the stars which show visible spikes in this image are already saturated.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Craine
Ensign

Post by Craine » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:23 pm

kellogg wrote:Good Morning,

Scott Kellogg
Those are Diffraction spikes, caused by support structure for mirrors inside the telescopes.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction_spike

Hooping

Post by Hooping » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:41 pm

Craine wrote:
kellogg wrote:Good Morning,

Scott Kellogg
Those are Diffraction spikes, caused by support structure for mirrors inside the telescopes.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction_spike
As opposed to lens flare - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_flare

FloridaMike
Science Officer

Post by FloridaMike » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:52 pm

starsurfer wrote:...the Herbig Haro outflow near the top of the image...
...remind me of the Stalk Eyed Fly
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Certainty is an emotion. So follow your spindle neurons.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:15 pm

Thanks for the comments regarding the reversal of the image as that had confused me and I was going to inquire.

The following is a link to an interesting set of related images in the Hubble NewsCenter release http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archiv ... web_print/

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:26 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:Thanks for the comments regarding the reversal of the image as that had confused me and I was going to inquire.

The following is a link to an interesting set of related images in the Hubble NewsCenter release http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archiv ... web_print/
Yes, it can be confusing. Rotation is often arbitrary, but it is extremely rare for professional data to be presented mirrored- that is, any way but east 90° CCW of north. Amateur imagers should always ensure that their images match this convention (which is consistent with looking at the sky unaided). Indeed, some of the professional image processing tools I use pop up warnings if the data is displayed mirrored.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

dr_glenn
Asternaut

Post by dr_glenn » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:04 pm

starsurfer wrote:I prefer the original Hubble image but this reprocessing is also really nice! I wish I knew the name of the Herbig Haro outflow near the top of the image, I think the description should have mentioned this. The whole Eta Carinae Nebula is HUGE! You can see it in its entirety in this image by Marco Lorenzi.
The right side jet (when looking at the photo) appears to terminate in a bow shock. Wonderful!

BTW, I had to lookup Herbig-Haro and was surprised to find that Harry Turtledove wrote a short story with this title in 1984.