APOD: Lynds Dark Nebula 1251 (2016 Sep 30)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 5457
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Lynds Dark Nebula 1251 (2016 Sep 30)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:35 pm

Image Lynds Dark Nebula 1251

Explanation: Stars are forming in Lynds Dark Nebula (LDN) 1251. About 1,000 light-years away, the dusty molecular cloud is part of a complex of dark nebulae mapped toward the Cepheus flare region, drifting above the plane of our Milky Way galaxy. Across the spectrum, astronomical explorations of the obscuring interstellar clouds reveal energetic shocks and outflows associated with newborn stars, including the telltale reddish glow from scattered Herbig-Haro objects seen in this sharp image. Distant background galaxies also lurk on the scene, visually buried behind the dusty expanse. The deep telescopic field of view spans about two full moons on the sky, or 17 light-years at the estimated distance of LDN 1251.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 13607
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Lynds Dark Nebula 1251 (2016 Sep 30)

Post by Ann » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:29 am

The APOD of September 30, 2016 is here already? :shock:

Well, nice image. Without dust clouds in the Milky Way, there would be no more star (and planet) formation.
APOD Robot wrote:
the telltale reddish glow from scattered Herbig-Haro objects seen in this sharp image
Can't see any reddish glow, sorry.

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 9180
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: Lynds Dark Nebula 1251 (2016 Sep 30)

Post by geckzilla » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:07 am

Ann wrote:The APOD of September 30, 2016 is here already? :shock:

Well, nice image. Without dust clouds in the Milky Way, there would be no more star (and planet) formation.
It happened a couple weeks or so ago, too, but it was so much earlier in the day that I deleted the thread and the APOD got sent back to the staging area.
Ann wrote:
APOD Robot wrote:
the telltale reddish glow from scattered Herbig-Haro objects seen in this sharp image
Can't see any reddish glow, sorry.
They're rather small.
HH.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *
Posts: 2691
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:07 am

Re: APOD: Lynds Dark Nebula 1251 (2016 Sep 30)

Post by Boomer12k » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:13 am

The "Dark Fish" nebula...me thinkest...

Wonderful shot.
:---[===] *

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 13607
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Lynds Dark Nebula 1251 (2016 Sep 30)

Post by Ann » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:34 am

Boomer12k wrote:The "Dark Fish" nebula...me thinkest...

Wonderful shot.
:---[===] *
I saw the fish, too! :D

But perhaps it is a spaceship-fish. :rocketship:

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

FLPhotoCatcher
Science Officer
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:51 am

Re: APOD: Lynds Dark Nebula 1251 (2016 Sep 30)

Post by FLPhotoCatcher » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:14 pm

The description says that the Nebula is "drifting above the plane of our Milky Way galaxy." But wouldn't it be orbiting the Milky Way like our solar system is? In other words, wouldn't it move "up" and "down" through the plane of the galaxy?

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 973
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron
Location: Eagle, Idaho

Re: APOD: Lynds Dark Nebula 1251 (2016 Sep 30)

Post by Fred the Cat » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:04 pm

As this previous APOD shows another Cepheus flare region with the "core of the dark cloud collapsing" and "likely a binary star system in the early stages of formation". The process of multiple star formations as opposed to single star formation is captivating.

It seems today's porpoise has a purpose as it swims through Cepheus. :roll:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18399
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Lynds Dark Nebula 1251 (2016 Sep 30)

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:40 pm

FLPhotoCatcher wrote:The description says that the Nebula is "drifting above the plane of our Milky Way galaxy." But wouldn't it be orbiting the Milky Way like our solar system is? In other words, wouldn't it move "up" and "down" through the plane of the galaxy?
Indeed, it is in orbit around the center of the Milky Way. Virtually everything making up our galaxy is either above or below the galactic plane. LDN 1251 is approximately 250 ly above the plane, which means it is well inside the thin stellar disk of the galaxy. Not above the galaxy, just above the central plane (as is the Sun, which could be as much as 100 ly above it).

So this nebula is on a very slightly inclined ellipical orbit which over more than 200 million years would take it around the Milky Way, half of the time above the plane and half of the time below. Of course, the lifetime of nebulas like this is only a fraction of a galactic year, so this one will spend its entire life above the galactic plane. But as you say, orbiting, not drifting.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

FLPhotoCatcher
Science Officer
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:51 am

Re: APOD: Lynds Dark Nebula 1251 (2016 Sep 30)

Post by FLPhotoCatcher » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:40 pm

Thanks Chris. I wasn't sure if the nebula was held "up" by the light pressure or 'solar wind' of the stars of the Milky Way.

User avatar
alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:51 am
Location: Redmond, WA

Re: APOD: Lynds Dark Nebula 1251 (2016 Sep 30)

Post by alter-ego » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:39 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
FLPhotoCatcher wrote:The description says that the Nebula is "drifting above the plane of our Milky Way galaxy." But wouldn't it be orbiting the Milky Way like our solar system is? In other words, wouldn't it move "up" and "down" through the plane of the galaxy?
Indeed, it is in orbit around the center of the Milky Way. Virtually everything making up our galaxy is either above or below the galactic plane. LDN 1251 is approximately 250 ly above the plane, which means it is well inside the thin stellar disk of the galaxy. Not above the galaxy, just above the central plane (as is the Sun, which could be as much as 100 ly above it).

So this nebula is on a very slightly inclined ellipical orbit which over more than 200 million years would take it around the Milky Way, half of the time above the plane and half of the time below. Of course, the lifetime of nebulas like this is only a fraction of a galactic year, so this one will spend its entire life above the galactic plane. But as you say, orbiting, not drifting.
An unperturbed elliptical orbit is most likely not the case. The mass density gradient about the galactic plane results in a separate period for crossing the plane. In the Sun's case, it crosses the plane roughly every 30 million years.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18399
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Lynds Dark Nebula 1251 (2016 Sep 30)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:43 am

alter-ego wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
FLPhotoCatcher wrote:The description says that the Nebula is "drifting above the plane of our Milky Way galaxy." But wouldn't it be orbiting the Milky Way like our solar system is? In other words, wouldn't it move "up" and "down" through the plane of the galaxy?
Indeed, it is in orbit around the center of the Milky Way. Virtually everything making up our galaxy is either above or below the galactic plane. LDN 1251 is approximately 250 ly above the plane, which means it is well inside the thin stellar disk of the galaxy. Not above the galaxy, just above the central plane (as is the Sun, which could be as much as 100 ly above it).

So this nebula is on a very slightly inclined ellipical orbit which over more than 200 million years would take it around the Milky Way, half of the time above the plane and half of the time below. Of course, the lifetime of nebulas like this is only a fraction of a galactic year, so this one will spend its entire life above the galactic plane. But as you say, orbiting, not drifting.
An unperturbed elliptical orbit is most likely not the case. The mass density gradient about the galactic plane results in a separate period for crossing the plane. In the Sun's case, it crosses the plane roughly every 30 million years.
True, but it still spends about the same amount of time on each side. And this nebula will likely spend its entire existence on just one side.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com