APOD: Elephant, Bat, and Squid (2021 Jul 23)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Elephant, Bat, and Squid (2021 Jul 23)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:05 am

Image Elephant, Bat, and Squid

Explanation: Sprawling emission nebulae IC 1396 and Sh2-129 mix glowing interstellar gas and dark dust clouds in this 10 degree wide field of view toward the northern constellation Cepheus the King. Energized by its bluish central star IC 1396 (left) is hundreds of light-years across and some 3,000 light-years distant. The nebula's intriguing dark shapes include a winding dark cloud popularly known as the Elephant's Trunk below and right of center. Tens of light-years long, it holds the raw raw material for star formation and is known to hide protostars within. Located a similar distance from planet Earth, the bright knots and swept back ridges of emission of Sh2-129 on the right suggest its popular name, the Flying Bat Nebula. Within the Flying Bat, the most recently recognized addition to this royal cosmic zoo is the faint bluish emission from Ou4, the Giant Squid nebula.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: APOD: Elephant, Bat, and Squid (2021 Jul 23)

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:50 am

IC1396SH2-129Ou4_50Hsieh_1024.jpg
O.K. I see these; ( Elephant; Bat; & Squid ); but a real stretch of my
imagination! :mrgreen: In my Imaginary world; I see a face on the left
staring toward the right! 😘 Great photo though! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:35 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:50 am
O.K. I see these; ( Elephant; Bat; & Squid ); but a real stretch of my imagination! :mrgreen: In my Imaginary world; I see a face on the left staring toward the right! 😘
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Skellington wrote:
<<Jack Skellington is a fictional character and the main protagonist of the 1993 film The Nightmare Before Christmas. Jack is the "Pumpkin King" of Halloween Town, a fantasy world based solely on the Halloween holiday. Jack Skellington's overall appearance is a skeleton dressed in a black pin-striped suit and a bow tie that strongly resembles a black bat.

Jack appears as a meetable character at several Walt Disney Parks and Resorts and is located outside the Haunted Manison in Frontierland. Disneyland during the holidays, Haunted Mansion is taken over by the cast of The Nightmare Before Christmas and is turned into Haunted Mansion Holiday. Jack and other characters appear throughout the ride wearing Christmas attire. Additionally, Jack hosts the Halloween Screams and Not So Spooky Spectacular! fireworks shows, as well as the Frightfully Fun Parade.>>
Art Neuendorffer

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:16 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:18 pm

neufer wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:35 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:50 am
O.K. I see these; ( Elephant; Bat; & Squid ); but a real stretch of my imagination! :mrgreen: In my Imaginary world; I see a face on the left staring toward the right! 😘
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Skellington wrote:
<<Jack Skellington is a fictional character and the main protagonist of the 1993 film The Nightmare Before Christmas. Jack is the "Pumpkin King" of Halloween Town, a fantasy world based solely on the Halloween holiday. Jack Skellington's overall appearance is a skeleton dressed in a black pin-striped suit and a bow tie that strongly resembles a black bat.

Jack appears as a meetable character at several Walt Disney Parks and Resorts and is located outside the Haunted Manison in Frontierland. Disneyland during the holidays, Haunted Mansion is taken over by the cast of The Nightmare Before Christmas and is turned into Haunted Mansion Holiday. Jack and other characters appear throughout the ride wearing Christmas attire. Additionally, Jack hosts the Halloween Screams and Not So Spooky Spectacular! fireworks shows, as well as the Frightfully Fun Parade.>>
Good likeness Art! Let's call it the Skellington Nebula! 💀
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:24 pm

If I am not mistaken, going by other photos, the elephant's trunk is that dark worm-like section over the bottom bluish-white cloud. If you imagine that face with the black eyes, it would be about where the nostril is. Of course the blue squid on the right nebula really does look like a squid.