APOD: W5: The Soul Nebula (2023 Mar 14)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: W5: The Soul Nebula (2023 Mar 14)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:08 am

Image W5: The Soul Nebula

Explanation: Stars are forming in the Soul of the Queen of Aethopia. More specifically, a large star forming region called the Soul Nebula can be found in the direction of the constellation Cassiopeia, whom Greek mythology credits as the vain wife of a King who long ago ruled lands surrounding the upper Nile river. Also known as Westerhout 5 (W5), the Soul Nebula houses several open clusters of stars, ridges and pillars darkened by cosmic dust, and huge evacuated bubbles formed by the winds of young massive stars. Located about 6,500 light years away, the Soul Nebula spans about 100 light years and is usually imaged next to its celestial neighbor the Heart Nebula (IC 1805). The featured image is a composite of exposures made in different colors: red as emitted by hydrogen gas, yellow as emitted by sulfur, and blue as emitted by oxygen.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: W5: The Soul Nebula (2023 Mar 14)

Post by Ann » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:14 am

APOD 14 March 2023 interpreted by me as a dog.png

This is the first time I've seen the Soul Nebula as a dog! :shock: Although it sure looks bullied and beaten, not like a proud golden retriever.

I always see the Soul Nebula as a baby, lying on its back.

Soul Nebula as a human baby Bart Delsaert.png
The Soul Nebula, interpreted by me as a human baby.
Image credit: Bart Delsaert.

The Soul Nebula baby has a "Little Man" (or is it an upside down dog?) near his elbow:

Little Man of Soul Nebula Bart Delsaert.png
Little Man in the Soul Nebula.
Image: Bart Delsaert.

Ann
Color Commentator

DeeBee

Post by DeeBee » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:14 pm

The larger, left section of the Soul Nebula looks very much like a close up of a large bearded man's face taking up the entire section; complete with a nose and nostrils, a mouth and a wispy beard at the bottom. The two large eye sockets stare straight at the viewer. Awesome image!

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:07 pm

It's amazing how a nebula called the Soul actually looks like a dog or a baby or a little man. If I may add my impression, the left half looks like the body of a running bison in the Old West. Even has the high hump on the back near the shoulder of a bison or buffalo. But yet the face looks like a brown bear if you disregard the blue face and make the face brown.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:25 pm

Soul_Herschel_960.jpg
Ann is really good at descibe[ng a photo!
stsci-pillarsofcreation1280c.jpg
This is one of my favorites; it is easy to let
your imagination run wild wit it! :mrgreen!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:09 pm

As do others, I see an animal in this particular image of the Soul Nebula. In my case, a crouching bear!
Attachments
the crouching bear nebula small.jpg
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

VictorBorun
Captain

Post by VictorBorun » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:58 am

johnnydeep wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:09 pm As do others, I see an animal in this particular image of the Soul Nebula. In my case, a crouching bear!