APOD: Plane Crossing Crescent Moon (2023 Dec 04)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 5459
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Plane Crossing Crescent Moon (2023 Dec 04)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:07 am

Image Plane Crossing Crescent Moon

Explanation: No, the Moon is not a bow, and no, it did not shoot out a plane like an arrow. What is pictured is a chance superposition. The plane's contrail would normally appear white, but the large volume of air toward the rising Sun preferentially knocked away blue light, not only making the sky blue, but giving the reflected trail a bright red hue. Far in the distance, well behind the plane, the crescent Moon also appears slightly reddened. Captured early last month from Bolton, UK, the featured image was taken so soon after sunrise that the plane was sunlit from below, as was its contrail. Within minutes, unfortunately, the impromptu sky show ended. The plane moved out of sight. The Moon kept rising but became harder to see through a brightening sky. And the contrail gradually dispersed.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

MarkEl

Re: APOD: Plane Crossing Crescent Moon (2023 Dec 04)

Post by MarkEl » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:11 am

One for future societies to look back at and frown upon, an aeroplane polluting the atmosphere

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 13614
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Plane Crossing Crescent Moon (2023 Dec 04)

Post by Ann » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:29 am


But I really long for an APOD featuring a galaxy, preferably another galaxy than the Milky Way or Andromeda or the LMC or M81 or M82... Please?

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
Rauf
Science Officer
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Re: APOD: Plane Crossing Crescent Moon (2023 Dec 04)

Post by Rauf » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:26 am

MarkEl wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:11 am One for future societies to look back at and frown upon, an aeroplane polluting the atmosphere
Well,
https://www.earthdata.nasa.gov/learn/sensing-our-planet/on-the-trail-of-contrails wrote:While it is easy to imagine that contrails are just dirty streams of pollutants billowing out of airplanes as they cross the sky, in reality they are mostly ice crystals. Water vapor is already present in the atmosphere, but when the extra vapor from the airplane exhaust rapidly saturates already moist air, the water condenses and freezes into minute ice crystals. In fact, the word contrail is short for “condensation trail.”

dmp86

Re: APOD: Plane Crossing Crescent Moon (2023 Dec 04)

Post by dmp86 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:55 am

Nice photo, but that's a decrescent moon, or the photo has been mirrored.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18401
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Plane Crossing Crescent Moon (2023 Dec 04)

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:56 pm

Rauf wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:26 am
MarkEl wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:11 am One for future societies to look back at and frown upon, an aeroplane polluting the atmosphere
Well,
https://www.earthdata.nasa.gov/learn/sensing-our-planet/on-the-trail-of-contrails wrote:While it is easy to imagine that contrails are just dirty streams of pollutants billowing out of airplanes as they cross the sky, in reality they are mostly ice crystals. Water vapor is already present in the atmosphere, but when the extra vapor from the airplane exhaust rapidly saturates already moist air, the water condenses and freezes into minute ice crystals. In fact, the word contrail is short for “condensation trail.”
That is true. But it's also true that there is a lot of invisible CO2 present in that trail, which is highly polluting, and the water vapor trails themselves are seeding cloud formation and resulting in climatic modifications.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 21587
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: APOD: Plane Crossing Crescent Moon (2023 Dec 04)

Post by bystander » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:58 pm

dmp86 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:55 am Nice photo, but that's a decrescent moon, or the photo has been mirrored.
The opposite of decrescent is increscent, not crescent. Both are crescent. Decrescent is waning, while increscent is waxing.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18401
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Plane Crossing Crescent Moon (2023 Dec 04)

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:59 pm

dmp86 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:55 am Nice photo, but that's a decrescent moon, or the photo has been mirrored.
A Moon close to new on either side of its phases is still correctly called a cresent moon. Formally, a waning crescent or a waxing crescent. "Decrescent" isn't incorrect, but neither is it common usage.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!
Posts: 1584
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: Lancaster, England

Re: APOD: Plane Crossing Crescent Moon (2023 Dec 04)

Post by JohnD » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:09 pm

Awfully like the SpaceX logo!
SpaceX logo.jpg

Not to mention being just in time for
X logo.jpg
MAS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Astronymus
Science Officer
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:26 pm
AKA: Astro
Location: Northern Alps

Re: APOD: Plane Crossing Crescent Moon (2023 Dec 04)

Post by Astronymus » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:17 pm

JohnD wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:09 pm Awfully like the SpaceX logo!
[]
Not to mention being just in time for
[]
Too far fetched. :thumb_down:

More like this

Image :thumb_up: :saturn:
»Only a dead Earth is a good Earth.«

NateWhilk
Ensign
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Re: APOD: Plane Crossing Crescent Moon (2023 Dec 04)

Post by NateWhilk » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:36 am

Great shot! It reminds me of this.

Artemis, Fantasia, end of Beethoven pastoral symphony (flipped l-r)

Artemis, [i]Fantasia[/i], end of Beethoven pastoral symphony (flipped l-r)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 3031
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Plane Crossing Crescent Moon (2023 Dec 04)

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:59 pm

NateWhilk wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:36 am Great shot! It reminds me of this.

Artemis, Fantasia, end of Beethoven pastoral symphony (flipped l-r)
..
Nice image! What's the original source? I can fine many uses of virtually the same image, but not the original source.

EDIT: ok, I guess I found it. It's original Disney art from 1940! See https://d23.com/fantasia-at-80-exploring-beethoven/
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18401
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Plane Crossing Crescent Moon (2023 Dec 04)

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:59 pm
NateWhilk wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:36 am Great shot! It reminds me of this.

Artemis, Fantasia, end of Beethoven pastoral symphony (flipped l-r)
..
Nice image! What's the original source? I can fine many uses of virtually the same image, but not the original source.
Are you aware of https://images.google.com/ ? You can drag any image there and it will find matching and similar ones all across the Internet. This version seems all over, including a few on Disney sites.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 3031
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Plane Crossing Crescent Moon (2023 Dec 04)

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:10 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:59 pm
NateWhilk wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:36 am Great shot! It reminds me of this.

Artemis, Fantasia, end of Beethoven pastoral symphony (flipped l-r)
..
Nice image! What's the original source? I can fine many uses of virtually the same image, but not the original source.
Are you aware of https://images.google.com/ ? You can drag any image there and it will find matching and similar ones all across the Internet. This version seems all over, including a few on Disney sites.
Yes. I started with a "search for image" right-click menu option on the image in my browser, which I believe uses the google image search. But still, it wasn't clear to me what the original source was. But I since found it as the edit to my post above shows, by googling on "Artemis, Fantasia, end of Beethoven pastoral symphony" - https://d23.com/fantasia-at-80-exploring-beethoven/
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

User avatar
JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!
Posts: 1584
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: Lancaster, England

Re: APOD: Plane Crossing Crescent Moon (2023 Dec 04)

Post by JohnD » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:07 pm

Astronymus wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:17 pm
JohnD wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:09 pm Awfully like the SpaceX logo!
[]
Not to mention being just in time for
[]
Too far fetched. :thumb_down:

More like this

Image :thumb_up: :saturn:
Yes, but ... boring!

User avatar
VictorBorun
Captain
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Re: APOD: Plane Crossing Crescent Moon (2023 Dec 04)

Post by VictorBorun » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:06 pm

Astronymus wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:17 pm More like this
Image
The disk of the moon when low above the horizon should be red.
Like when it's a narrow crescent close to the disk of the sun and the sun is low above the horizon.

By the way this APOD failed to say why Crescent Moon is so red here :)

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 3031
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Plane Crossing Crescent Moon (2023 Dec 04)

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:17 pm

VictorBorun wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:06 pm
Astronymus wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:17 pm More like this
Image
The disk of the moon when low above the horizon should be red.
Like when it's a narrow crescent close to the disk of the sun and the sun is low above the horizon.

By the way this APOD failed to say why Crescent Moon is so red here :)
The text implies that the crescent is reddened for the same reason that the contrail is reddened: both are low on the horizon and the light from them is passing though more air, which preferentially reflects blue light. Is that not correct? Why we don't also see a reddened disk might just be due to the exposure settings used.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

User avatar
VictorBorun
Captain
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Re: APOD: Plane Crossing Crescent Moon (2023 Dec 04)

Post by VictorBorun » Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:49 am

johnnydeep wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:17 pm
VictorBorun wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:06 pm
Astronymus wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:17 pm More like this
Image
The disk of the moon when low above the horizon should be red.
Like when it's a narrow crescent close to the disk of the sun and the sun is low above the horizon.

By the way this APOD failed to say why Crescent Moon is so red here :)
The text implies that the crescent is reddened for the same reason that the contrail is reddened: both are low on the horizon and the light from them is passing though more air, which preferentially reflects blue light. Is that not correct? Why we don't also see a reddened disk might just be due to the exposure settings used.
Maybe the writer took for granted that such a narrow crescent must be so close to the sun that a low sun predicts a low moon.
By the way the sky is blue here so the red of the moon prevails after being added to the blue of the sky

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18401
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Plane Crossing Crescent Moon (2023 Dec 04)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:57 pm

VictorBorun wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:49 am
johnnydeep wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:17 pm
VictorBorun wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:06 pm
The disk of the moon when low above the horizon should be red.
Like when it's a narrow crescent close to the disk of the sun and the sun is low above the horizon.

By the way this APOD failed to say why Crescent Moon is so red here :)
The text implies that the crescent is reddened for the same reason that the contrail is reddened: both are low on the horizon and the light from them is passing though more air, which preferentially reflects blue light. Is that not correct? Why we don't also see a reddened disk might just be due to the exposure settings used.
Maybe the writer took for granted that such a narrow crescent must be so close to the sun that a low sun predicts a low moon.
By the way the sky is blue here so the red of the moon prevails after being added to the blue of the sky
Or the fact that the plane is being seen from the side. Or that there are trees in the image. There are no "exposure settings" that could redden the disk!
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com