APOD: NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster (2024 Jul 02)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 5463
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster (2024 Jul 02)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:06 am

Image NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster

Explanation: The clouds may look like an oyster, and the stars like pearls, but look beyond. Near the outskirts of the Small Magellanic Cloud, a satellite galaxy some 200 thousand light-years distant, lies this 5 million year old star cluster NGC 602. Surrounded by its birth shell of gas and dust, star cluster NGC 602 is featured in this stunning Hubble image, augmented in a rollover by images in the X-ray by the Chandra Observatory and in the infrared by Spitzer Telescope. Fantastic ridges and swept back gas strongly suggest that energetic radiation and shock waves from NGC 602's massive young stars have eroded the dusty material and triggered a progression of star formation moving away from the star cluster's center. At the estimated distance of the Small Magellanic Cloud, the featured picture spans about 200 light-years, but a tantalizing assortment of background galaxies are also visible in this sharp view. The background galaxies are hundreds of millions of light-years -- or more -- beyond NGC 602.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

User avatar
AVAO
Commander
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 12:24 pm
AKA: multiwavelength traveller
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

Re: APOD: NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster (2024 Jul 02)

Post by AVAO » Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:30 am

APOD Robot wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:06 am Image NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster

Explanation: The clouds may look like an oyster, and the stars like pearls, but look beyond. Near the outskirts of the Small Magellanic Cloud, a satellite galaxy some 200 thousand light-years distant, lies this 5 million year old star cluster NGC 602. Surrounded by its birth shell of gas and dust, star cluster NGC 602 is featured in this stunning Hubble image, augmented in a rollover by images in the X-ray by the Chandra Observatory and in the infrared by Spitzer Telescope. Fantastic ridges and swept back gas strongly suggest that energetic radiation and shock waves from NGC 602's massive young stars have eroded the dusty material and triggered a progression of star formation moving away from the star cluster's center. At the estimated distance of the Small Magellanic Cloud, the featured picture spans about 200 light-years, but a tantalizing assortment of background galaxies are also visible in this sharp view. The background galaxies are hundreds of millions of light-years -- or more -- beyond NGC 602.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

...nice cosmic aquarium up there...

Original data: NASA/ESA/CSA WEBBLE (HST/JWST) jac berne (flickr)

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 13619
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster (2024 Jul 02)

Post by Ann » Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:09 am

Don't know how to reproduce the mouseover, so...


As you can see, the X-ray sources (purple) are not coincident with the brightest stars of NGC 602. There are two X-ray sources at the rim of a dust structure at lower right, and one at a smilar struture at upper left, and one or all of them may possibly be linked to star formation in NGC 602 itself. Or not. I guess it is possible one or two of the X-ray sources could be neutron stars created in supernova explosions in NGC 602, but I don't know - NGC 602 looks too undisturbed to have been wracked by a supernova, or at least I think so. So I would say that the X-ray sources generally don't belong to NGC 602 and are just seen in the direction of it. But what do I know? :wink:

The Hubble picture of NGC 602 is indeed spectacular, and the oyster shell shape of the nebula is marvelous, but it's a bit scary too. It reminds me not only of an oyster but also of a shark with a gaping mouth!

😲


I love the central star cluster of NGC 602:

NGC 602.png
A multitude of small stars among the big bright ones.

The central cluster contains perhaps ~10 very bright stars and a multitude of small stars. All star clusters contain many more small faint stars than big bright ones, but we typically don't see the small stars in pictures of clusters. The reason why we see the small stars mixed with the large ones in NGC 602 may be that this cluster is so young that the big stars have not had time to kick the small stars away from the cluster center. Also there are very few background stars to be seen near this cluster to confuse us.

So where is NGC 602 located? It is located in the Wing of the Small Magellanic Cloud:

Small Magellanic Cloud and NGC 602 Dan Crowson.png
The Small Magellanic Cloud and globular clusters NGC 104 and NGC 362
and nebula NGC 602. Credit: Dan Crowson

NGC 602 and friends is an awesome sight:

NGC 602 and Henize 89 HLRGB Tom Peter AKA Astrovetteman.png
NGC 602 (labeled) and Henize 89. Credit: Tom Peter AKA Astrovetteman

I think I can see Jiminy Cricket to the left of NGC 602 in Astrovetteman's image. Look at that large blue (should have been green) head.

I also really recommend this image by gmadkat. I can't post it, because it is too large, and I have used up my attachments. But do take a look at it! :D

Ann
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Color Commentator

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 13619
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster (2024 Jul 02)

Post by Ann » Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:18 am

AVAO wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:30 am
APOD Robot wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:06 am Image NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster

Explanation: The clouds may look like an oyster, and the stars like pearls, but look beyond. Near the outskirts of the Small Magellanic Cloud, a satellite galaxy some 200 thousand light-years distant, lies this 5 million year old star cluster NGC 602. Surrounded by its birth shell of gas and dust, star cluster NGC 602 is featured in this stunning Hubble image, augmented in a rollover by images in the X-ray by the Chandra Observatory and in the infrared by Spitzer Telescope. Fantastic ridges and swept back gas strongly suggest that energetic radiation and shock waves from NGC 602's massive young stars have eroded the dusty material and triggered a progression of star formation moving away from the star cluster's center. At the estimated distance of the Small Magellanic Cloud, the featured picture spans about 200 light-years, but a tantalizing assortment of background galaxies are also visible in this sharp view. The background galaxies are hundreds of millions of light-years -- or more -- beyond NGC 602.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

...nice cosmic aquarium up there...

Original data: NASA/ESA/CSA WEBBLE (HST/JWST) jac berne (flickr)

Oh wow, that's an awesome awesome awesome image of the central star cluster of NGC 602, Jac! 😀 🤩 🥳 🐬

I'm so so so tempted to steal it from you and insert it into my own post, but I managed to restrain myself (just barely)!

But I will upload it to my computer!

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!
Posts: 1584
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: Lancaster, England

Re: APOD: NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster (2024 Jul 02)

Post by JohnD » Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:14 am

Curious Congruence!
Today's EARTH Picture of the Day is "Villarrica Volcano and the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds".
https://epod.usra.edu/

Christian G.
Science Officer
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:37 pm

Re: APOD: NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster (2024 Jul 02)

Post by Christian G. » Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:19 pm

Dazzling cluster! It made me think of another one of similar shape - though more dazzling still! - NGC 3603.
602.jpg
ngc3603.jpg
(Hubble)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yukonlilye2021@gmail.com

Re: APOD: NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster (2024 Jul 02)

Post by yukonlilye2021@gmail.com » Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:51 pm

I can imagine the oyster, but I'm "seeing" the face of a baby (facing to the right, the left eye, nose (slit opening not distinct nostril openings), open mouth)....

Lee
Asternaut
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon May 13, 2024 7:41 pm

Re: APOD: NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster (2024 Jul 02)

Post by Lee » Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:31 pm

yukonlilye2021@gmail.com wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:51 pm I can imagine the oyster, but I'm "seeing" the face of a baby (facing to the right, the left eye, nose (slit opening not distinct nostril openings), open mouth)....
I see a profile also but I see it as a woman with a large, sparkly earring.

User avatar
AVAO
Commander
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 12:24 pm
AKA: multiwavelength traveller
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

Re: APOD: NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster (2024 Jul 02)

Post by AVAO » Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:45 pm

Ann wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:18 am
[...]
Oh wow, that's an awesome awesome awesome image of the central star cluster of NGC 602, Jac! 😀 🤩 🥳 🐬
I'm so so so tempted to steal it from you and insert it into my own post, but I managed to restrain myself (just barely)!
But I will upload it to my computer!
Ann
ThanX Ann

I feel honored. All my pictures have a CC license with attribution for free use.
I do this... for pure fun and to challenge myself a little in the morning before I can dive back into my daily work routine.
... and of course also to be able to talk to you :wink: about exciting astronomical topics!


Jac

christmas special edition 4 you 🥳

biggg: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/538 ... 0ea7_o.jpg
Last edited by AVAO on Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster (2024 Jul 02)

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:46 pm

Lee wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:31 pm
yukonlilye2021@gmail.com wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:51 pm I can imagine the oyster, but I'm "seeing" the face of a baby (facing to the right, the left eye, nose (slit opening not distinct nostril openings), open mouth)....
I see a profile also but I see it as a woman with a large, sparkly earring.
And I see Frankenstein's Monster! Ain't pareidolia grand?
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 13619
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster (2024 Jul 02)

Post by Ann » Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:02 pm

AVAO wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:45 pm
Ann wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:18 am
[...]
Oh wow, that's an awesome awesome awesome image of the central star cluster of NGC 602, Jac! 😀 🤩 🥳 🐬
I'm so so so tempted to steal it from you and insert it into my own post, but I managed to restrain myself (just barely)!
But I will upload it to my computer!
Ann
ThanX Ann

I feel honored. All my pictures have a CC license with attribution for free use.
I do this... for pure fun and to challenge myself a little in the morning before I can dive back into my daily work routine.
... and of course also to be able to talk to you :wink: about exciting astronomical topics!


Jac

christmas special edition 4 you 🥳

biggg: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/538 ... 0ea7_o.jpg

It's so blue!!! 💙 😀 🤩 💙

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster (2024 Jul 02)

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:14 pm

Ann wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:02 pm
AVAO wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:45 pm
Ann wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:18 am
[...]
Oh wow, that's an awesome awesome awesome image of the central star cluster of NGC 602, Jac! 😀 🤩 🥳 🐬
I'm so so so tempted to steal it from you and insert it into my own post, but I managed to restrain myself (just barely)!
But I will upload it to my computer!
Ann
ThanX Ann

I feel honored. All my pictures have a CC license with attribution for free use.
I do this... for pure fun and to challenge myself a little in the morning before I can dive back into my daily work routine.
... and of course also to be able to talk to you :wink: about exciting astronomical topics!


Jac

christmas special edition 4 you 🥳

biggg: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/538 ... 0ea7_o.jpg

It's so blue!!! 💙 😀 🤩 💙

Ann
Yes, I love that coloring. It's positively sapphirine!

It reminds me of something I can't quite remember. Maybe something from The Little Prince, or some pleasant fairy tale. Or maybe this:


Do you have a larger version of this, Jac? It's worthy of being a desktop background.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Anonymus

Re: APOD: NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster (2024 Jul 02)

Post by Anonymus » Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:28 pm

I think the high x-ray source near the mid-left of the image (just above the star with a bow shock) is interesting, It appears relatively small and dim compared to the two bright stars flanking it. It makes me wonder if it is a black hole with an accretion disk.

User avatar
AVAO
Commander
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 12:24 pm
AKA: multiwavelength traveller
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

Re: APOD: NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster (2024 Jul 02)

Post by AVAO » Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:12 am

johnnydeep wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:14 pm
Ann wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:02 pm
AVAO wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:45 pm

ThanX Ann

I feel honored. All my pictures have a CC license with attribution for free use.
I do this... for pure fun and to challenge myself a little in the morning before I can dive back into my daily work routine.
... and of course also to be able to talk to you :wink: about exciting astronomical topics!


Jac

christmas special edition 4 you 🥳

biggg: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/538 ... 0ea7_o.jpg

It's so blue!!! 💙 😀 🤩 💙

Ann
Yes, I love that coloring. It's positively sapphirine!

It reminds me of something I can't quite remember. Maybe something from The Little Prince, or some pleasant fairy tale. Or maybe this:


Do you have a larger version of this, Jac? It's worthy of being a desktop background.

Cool. Yes please: Download: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/538 ... a8cb_b.jpg
CC BY jac berne (flickr)

User avatar
AVAO
Commander
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 12:24 pm
AKA: multiwavelength traveller
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

Re: APOD: NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster (2024 Jul 02)

Post by AVAO » Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:17 am

Ann wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:02 pm
AVAO wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:45 pm
Ann wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:18 am
[...]
Oh wow, that's an awesome awesome awesome image of the central star cluster of NGC 602, Jac! 😀 🤩 🥳 🐬
I'm so so so tempted to steal it from you and insert it into my own post, but I managed to restrain myself (just barely)!
But I will upload it to my computer!
Ann
ThanX Ann

I feel honored. All my pictures have a CC license with attribution for free use.
I do this... for pure fun and to challenge myself a little in the morning before I can dive back into my daily work routine.
... and of course also to be able to talk to you :wink: about exciting astronomical topics!


Jac

christmas special edition 4 you 🥳

biggg: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/538 ... 0ea7_o.jpg

It's so blue!!! 💙 😀 🤩 💙

Ann

For this version I was inspired by the picture in SSDR10...
The colors of my picture come from there.

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 13619
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster (2024 Jul 02)

Post by Ann » Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:30 am

AVAO wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:17 am
Ann wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:02 pm
AVAO wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:45 pm

ThanX Ann

I feel honored. All my pictures have a CC license with attribution for free use.
I do this... for pure fun and to challenge myself a little in the morning before I can dive back into my daily work routine.
... and of course also to be able to talk to you :wink: about exciting astronomical topics!


Jac

christmas special edition 4 you 🥳

biggg: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/538 ... 0ea7_o.jpg

It's so blue!!! 💙 😀 🤩 💙

Ann

For this version I was inspired by the picture in SSDR10...
The colors of my picture come from there.

What is SSDR10?

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!
Posts: 1584
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: Lancaster, England

Re: APOD: NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster (2024 Jul 02)

Post by JohnD » Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:02 am

Another Cosmic Congruence! Some one above saw a baby's face in these stars. The latest issue of New Scientist has this cover picture:
New Scientist 29-6-24.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster (2024 Jul 02)

Post by johnnydeep » Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:58 pm

AVAO wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:12 am
johnnydeep wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:14 pm
Ann wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:02 pm


It's so blue!!! 💙 😀 🤩 💙

Ann
Yes, I love that coloring. It's positively sapphirine!

It reminds me of something I can't quite remember. Maybe something from The Little Prince, or some pleasant fairy tale. Or maybe this:


Do you have a larger version of this, Jac? It's worthy of being a desktop background.

Cool. Yes please: Download: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/538 ... a8cb_b.jpg
CC BY jac berne (flickr)
Nice! I'm amazed you were able to see such an exact correspondence between the DreamWorks logo and this APOD. But you must have stretched it a bit (along with rotating it slightly) to make it match so closely, right?

Also, is that the highest resolution you have? It's still only 1024 × 576 and just 124 kB.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Dryx

NGC 602: Oyster Star Cluster (2024 Jul 02)

Post by Dryx » Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:10 pm

It looks like a Tyranosaurus rex Head to me :D