Free Astronomy Course Taught Online by an APOD Editor

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:39 pm

This just in from learnoutloud.com:

"Reference number: LTK144015470706X This is a reference number that you can use in your correspondence with us.
Subject: Missing lecture downloads

Thank you for contacting us.

Just to give you full disclosure: Apple recently give us a cease and desist letter with regard to our use of their material related to the iTunes U area of iTunes store. At this time we have been forced to remove all deep links to the content in this area and can only use the overall link to each class within the iTunes store. We realize it's sometimes more convenient to access each item individually, but as you can see, Apple is quite serious about enforcing their proprietary rights.

The withdrawal of deep links applies to the iTunes U programs only. Everything else on our site has been unaffected. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions and we're really sorry,"

adrianxw
Ensign

Post by adrianxw » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:42 pm

REFERENCE NUMBER: LTK144015469210X This is a reference number that you can use in your correspondence with us.
SUBJECT: PH1600 lectures.

Thank you for contacting us.

Just to give you full disclosure: Apple recently give us a cease and desist letter with regard to our use of their material related to the iTunes U area of iTunes store. At this time we have been forced to remove all deep links to the content in this area and can only use the overall link to each class within the iTunes store. We realize it's sometimes more convenient to access each item individually, but as you can see, Apple is quite serious about enforcing their proprietary rights.
The withdrawal of deep links applies to the iTunes U programs only. Everything else on our site has been unaffected.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.We're really sorry for the inconvenience.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Dinah
*** Edit ***

Okay, sorry for duplication, we were posting at the same time it would seem.

Stinks heh? You are the copyright holder surely? These are supposed to be free to all, not free to all that agree to Apple's iTunes terms and conditions.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

bbcbarry
Asternaut

Post by bbcbarry » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:25 pm

Since I know little about iTunes, this is all Greek to me. Our school's IT policy does not allow downloading of the ITune engine. They are fairly strong on this poicy because it opens too many ports that they do not want open. Before iTunes became an issue, I watched the QuickTime version of the lectures. There is no problem with that. Can the Quicktime version be posted on another server so that they can be available to those of us who can not get any further involved with Apple through their iTunes "site"?
Barry

jesusfreak16
Ensign

Post by jesusfreak16 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:29 pm

It seems that if the lectures aren't Apple's property,then they can't prevent everyone from watching them.
T.T.F.N. (Ta Ta For Now!)

Tatiana
Ensign

Post by Tatiana » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:37 am

Please someone find a fix! I'm addicted now and I'm having to go cold turkey.

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:13 pm

adrianxw wrote:Stinks heh? You are the copyright holder surely? These are supposed to be free to all, not free to all that agree to Apple's iTunes terms and conditions.
jesusfreak16 wrote:It seems that if the lectures aren't Apple's property,then they can't prevent everyone from watching them.
It seems that the issue is the use of iTunes bandwidth by deep linking, rather than the videos themselves. They'll host it for free, but in return they expect that everyone uses the interface that they are trying to market.

Most sites for the general public that allow uploads of video have restrictions on the file size and/or duration, which excluded these video lectures. Some will downgrade the quality even lower than it already is.

If Michigan Tech doesn't have the capacity to host these files for all to download, then it must be hard to find an additional host elsewhere. I know my ISP would remove/block the files if the downloads were too many from my personal webspace.

The videos could get torrented for a broader audience, but I think the folks that can't/won't/aren't allowed to install iTunes, will have issues with a P2P protocol as well. So that wouldn't help much.

g-banjo
Ensign

Post by g-banjo » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:03 pm

Indeed it is a shame we can't all see these. I, for one, would be very interested indeed. But I will certainly never install iTunes on my PC as it causes so many problems. (I guess it isn't in Apple's interest for a PC to work properly.)

v13
Ensign

Post by v13 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:41 pm

Case wrote:If Michigan Tech doesn't have the capacity to host these files for all to download, then it must be hard to find an additional host elsewhere. I know my ISP would remove/block the files if the downloads were too many from my personal webspace.
As I said in a previous post, I'm willing to host them at a University in Greece with 1Gbps internet connection and no traffic restrictions.

If you (RJN) can store them somewhere (not public) I can automate the mirroring procedure. I can also perform format and quality conversions if needed.

Feel free to contact me at v13 - at - it.teithe.gr (I don't read the forum every day)

g-banjo
Ensign

Post by g-banjo » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:49 am

Oh yes please!

porcupine
Asternaut

With thanks!

Post by porcupine » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:04 pm

I'm watching your podcasts and LOVING your presentations. My eyes usually glaze over where anything encompassing science and/or numbers is concerned, but you've made it fun and interesting. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge in such a witty and accessible way! I'm hooked!
Regards
Sue

v13
Ensign

Mirror

Post by v13 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:11 pm

I'm using Linux here and I wasn't able to view your videos after the direct links were removed from learnoutloud. So I'm now using a vmware machine running windows and iTunes to download them. I'll be glad to store them online and post the URL here but I need (a public) authorization for such an action. This will hopefully allow everyone out there without iTunes to watch the videos.

So, do you RJN allow me to make available your videos online?
There will be no advertising etc. Just a directory with the videos.

RJN
Baffled Boffin

OK with me

Post by RJN » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:05 pm

Yes. You have my permission to post my lectures to your website and post the URL here for others to use. This applies to anyone who wants to do this. Please abide by all laws when doing so. I thank you for your efforts here.

- RJN

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:30 pm

In your tenth lecture you mentioned that if Jupiter disappeared the remaining Jovian moons would maintain their solar orbit. I was thinking that they would not because of the mass to orbital velocity relationship, right? Wouldn't the moons drift further from the sun or is my lack of understanding showing?
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:04 pm

I would imagine that, like the Jovian Trojans, They would find equilibrium with the Solar Gravity and become part of an enlarged asteroid belt. Though some of the interactions with the older belt asteroids could prove disasterous over time

v13
Ensign

Re: OK with me

Post by v13 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:55 pm

RJN wrote:Yes. You have my permission to post my lectures to your website and post the URL here for others to use. This applies to anyone who wants to do this. Please abide by all laws when doing so. I thank you for your efforts here.
Here it is: https://titanas.it.teithe.gr/shared/v13/astronomy/

I'll try to keep it up-to-date but it won't hurt to contact me if you (or anyone else) notices that there are missing videos.

Keep up the good work!

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:40 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:I would imagine that, like the Jovian Trojans, They would find equilibrium with the Solar Gravity and become part of an enlarged asteroid belt. Though some of the interactions with the older belt asteroids could prove disasterous over time
Thanks BMAONE23, You're telling me that Jupiter's moons would drift into similar to existing orbits. I expect you are correct as I know little to nothing of astrophysics/orbital mechanics. And that is what Professor Nemiroff said too... it just threw me for a loop. :wink: I was thinking that since the moons are traveling at Jupiter's velocity around the sun that they would tend to move away from the sun's gravity due to their lower mass reaching relative escape velocity. :oops:
v13 wrote:
RJN wrote:Yes. You have my permission to post my lectures to your website and post the URL here for others to use. This applies to anyone who wants to do this. Please abide by all laws when doing so. I thank you for your efforts here.
Here it is: https://titanas.it.teithe.gr/shared/v13/astronomy/

I'll try to keep it up-to-date but it won't hurt to contact me if you (or anyone else) notices that there are missing videos.

Keep up the good work!
Thank you v13!
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:12 pm

Thank you, v13! I hadn't had a chance to view past the first two, so many, many thanks!!!

8)
Forget the box, just get outside.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:44 pm

emc wrote:I was thinking that since the moons are traveling at Jupiter's velocity around the sun that they would tend to move away from the sun's gravity due to their lower mass reaching relative escape velocity.
When the mass of the orbiting body is much less than the mass of the central body, mass can be ignored. If Jupiter disappeared, its satellites would still be moving mainly in the same orbit as Jupiter. Each would find itself moving slightly faster or slower as its own orbital velocity component around Jupiter was added to its much larger solar orbit velocity. This would result in a slight spread of the satellites inward or outward, depending on where each was in its Jupiter orbit when the planet disappeared.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

adrianxw
Ensign

Post by adrianxw » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:07 pm

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.
We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.
Click here to close this webpage.
Continue to this website (not recommended).
More information

If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address in the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.
When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.
If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private information into the website.

For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.
I get that when going to the URL for the lectures. Clicking continue to site seems to do so though.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

v13
Ensign

Post by v13 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:04 pm

adrianxw wrote:
There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.
I get that when going to the URL for the lectures. Clicking continue to site seems to do so though.
This is because the certificate is not signed by a well-know Certificate Authority. If you want to get rid of this message you must either accept it permanently or get the CA certificate from here: http://hydra.it.teithe.gr/ca/.

I'm sorry but the server is used for sharing files some of which are password protected and thus we need to have encrypted communications. Since there is no easy way to differentiate between protected and non-protected areas, it isn't possible to provide a non-https URL for now.

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:06 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
emc wrote:I was thinking that since the moons are traveling at Jupiter's velocity around the sun that they would tend to move away from the sun's gravity due to their lower mass reaching relative escape velocity.
When the mass of the orbiting body is much less than the mass of the central body, mass can be ignored. If Jupiter disappeared, its satellites would still be moving mainly in the same orbit as Jupiter. Each would find itself moving slightly faster or slower as its own orbital velocity component around Jupiter was added to its much larger solar orbit velocity. This would result in a slight spread of the satellites inward or outward, depending on where each was in its Jupiter orbit when the planet disappeared.
Thanks Chris, I feel like a student who hasn't been paying attention in class.

I found this article on the subject of Earth's mass which touches on orbital mechanics which also helps...

physlink.com online Q&A
<<"Now, here is the really neat part: all objects accelerate to the Earth at exactly the same rate given the same distance from the Earths center. In other words, even the Moon is accelerating towards the Earth at a rate that is appropriate for its distance from the Earth's center! If another object, say with the mass of this desktop computer, were to be placed in the moon's orbit it would circle the Earth at exactly the same speed as the moon. Why? Because both objects are accelerating towards the Earth and all objects, regardless of their mass, accelerate towards the Earth at exactly the same rate.">>

So the above quote also applies to what you, BMAONE23, and Dr. Nemiroff are saying... the moons of Jupiter would follow their same solar orbit even after their adjustment to loosing the gravity of Jupiter because they share the same relationship to the sun's gravity as Jupiter did.

I was complicating/confusing the loss of Jupiter's gravity as a "release" relative to the moons allowing them to move away from the sun kind of like how acceleration allows our spacecraft to exit Earth's gravity. I see I was wrong. :oops:

Thanks again! :)
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:20 pm

emc wrote:<<"Now, here is the really neat part: all objects accelerate to the Earth at exactly the same rate given the same distance from the Earths center. In other words, even the Moon is accelerating towards the Earth at a rate that is appropriate for its distance from the Earth's center! If another object, say with the mass of this desktop computer, were to be placed in the moon's orbit it would circle the Earth at exactly the same speed as the moon.
BTW, we don't need to keep this hypothetical. There are small bodies in the same orbit as larger ones. There are satellites orbiting the Sun in Jupiter's orbit, ahead of or behind the planet. These trojan satellites are, of course, much smaller than Jupiter.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:30 pm

If the mass of Jupiter were suddenly removed the objects most affected would be the Trojans at the lagrange points since their cohesion was dependant on the mass of Jupiter for stability. The lagrange points would disappear and they would need to seek stable solar orbits which could lead to many interctions.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:43 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:If the mass of Jupiter were suddenly removed the objects most affected would be the Trojans at the lagrange points since their cohesion was dependant on the mass of Jupiter for stability. The lagrange points would disappear and they would need to seek stable solar orbits which could lead to many interctions.
The Trojans are in stable orbits. The thing that is special about the Lagrange points is that they are the only stable points in Jupiter's orbit. If Jupiter disappeared, the Trojans could spread out to fill more of the orbit. Of course, over time, with so many bodies in the same orbit, there would be interactions and collisions. But for the most part, the Trojans would carry on just fine if Jupiter disappeared. In the absence of interactions with each other, or with Saturn, they wouldn't "seek" new orbits.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

jose palacios
Asternaut

course on astronomy for a microbiologist

Post by jose palacios » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:46 pm

I became addict to APOD about two years ago, and the classes I just found make a fantastic use out of it. I want to thank prof Nemiroff for the great idea, and for the great classes, too.

In fact, I would like to try something similar from my microbiology classes (the other end of the size scale). how difficult it is to convert the classes into the podcast? Could it be enough with QuickTime software or I need much more support?

Thanks again,

jose
Jose Palacios
28250 Torrelodones
Madrid - SPAIN